🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Creating a game - blog / tutorial

Started by
4 comments, last by mcinek 6 years, 11 months ago

Hello!

I was reading this great forum for a while and now decided to share something with this great community.

I'm a industry veteran, currently working at Ubisoft Toronto as senior engine programmer.

I'm writing a blog about creating a game in Unreal Engine. The goal is to show people the whole process of creating a game from start to finish. Obviously it's not going to be AAA game, but it's not going to be simple jam prototype either. I'm using all my knowledge and experience I gained over the years, working on titles such as The Witcher, Street Fighter, Watch Dogs and others.

I've shared some stuff already and I would love your feedback. Would you like more technical details? More theory? Specific UE4 implementations? Blueprint screenshots? C++ code? Let me know!

I will release a playable build (there is one already!) whenever there is something new worth playtesting, so you can play it yourselves and maybe it will inspire you for your own projects.

Here's link to the blog:

http://myvolleygame.com

Cheers!

Advertisement

Nice! Good start. Only recommendation is to dig into more technical details as a programmer.

You can auto-syndicate it to a GDNet blog as well and link back to your site. See:

Admin for GameDev.net.

Well I guess it depends on who you plan to target :)

For instance, don't know if you know about Handmade Hero , Casey Muratori documents the whole creation of his game from scratch, starting with making the game engine and he literally shows everything through video, every line of code he writes you see it and is explained by him, every Day in that link is associated with a video and he's now at Day 405, therefore that is probably the "ultimate format" to really show all that goes into the making of a game and would be perfect to train other beginner programmers since they can follow along and code the same thing and really see all the process (even though maybe kind of lenghty).

I've read your blog entries, end even though may be interesting in the long run to see how the project develops from scratch, there was really no in-depth explanation of the kind that might be very useful to a beginner programmer (I think, not that I know for sure what a beginner really need...) so my assumption is that the blog is aimed to "curious players", people that don't actually program but are kind of curious to see how is made without committing too much with in-depth technical stuff, OR at people that can already do this stuff and don't need details and are only curious to see the way you decide to do it, and that circle of people might be further restricted by the one that are actually into volleyball games I think :P

Therefore I can't really suggest anything about how the blog entries should be, the only thing I can say is that it all depends on what audience you want to target :)

Well of course, me being a total beginner, my preference would be on the more "tutorial oriented"/"show everything" kind of approach xD (but is only a preference not a request, since is probably time-consuming)

Very cool. Like @khawk, I would like to see more technical details.

At the moment it's a very high level overview with little specific details; each entry said what you've done with a bit of the why, but almost none of the how.

Personally I'd like to read things like:

- Choice of algorithms and data structures. What were your options, and why did you choose the ones you did?

- Interesting implementation details. Pick things that are particularly interesting or note-worthy and walk through the details. Maybe show some code samples or Blueprints screenshots.

- High level design structure. How do the different pieces fit together, and why have you done it that way.

I wouldn't write about every little thing, but pick bits and pieces to cover in more depth.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thank you so much guys for your feedback.

In my next post this week I will cover more details and try to explain more in depth reasons for some solutions.

Stay tuned!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement