🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game marketing and PR

Started by
4 comments, last by TilenM 6 years, 10 months ago

Hi! My name is Tilen and I am new here, but I appreciate any help you can offer to a newbie! ^^

I'm in a team of 20 men and women from all over the world and I am responsible for marketing the game we are making. We are developing a 2D action platformer that is pretty unique imo (I Will reveal more info in the coming posts). I have lots of experience in regular experience marketing and PR, but online marketing is relatively new to me. I already have a basic plan for everything I want to do, but my main questions are: how and when do I start marketing? I have zero funds to work with. I am thinking to start with some simple posts on gaming forums, showing some screenshots, some news about the developement etc. and then start sharing our webpage (which we are already building), Fb, Ig, Twitter, Linkedin etc. I am also planning on writing a devblog on our main page and spread it across all the sites that allow bloggers to post for free. Am I thinking in the right direction? When do I start marketing and on what social media? Can I use Facebook even if I can't guarantee regular posts (because all of the devs are also working for free in their spare time and I really can't tell how fast the progress is going to be)? I've been doing some research on some bigger indie 2D platformers, but I still can't really tell what the best strategy is. What's your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Moving to Business forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Have you read Pixel Prospector's Marketing Guide for Game Developers?

Yes, you can use Facebook even if you don't have guaranteed regular content, but obviously it may be less effective.

Twitter can also be a good place to market - join in on #screenshotsaturday preferably with some flashy gif animations.

You can also get some attention and valuable feedback by blogging here at GameDev.net (invite your team mates as well! You can also set up automatic import from your off-site blog.) and submit screenshots to the gallery, etc.

Hope that helps you get started! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

19 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Moving to Business forum.

Thanks!:)

17 hours ago, jbadams said:

Have you read Pixel Prospector's Marketing Guide for Game Developers?

Yes, you can use Facebook even if you don't have guaranteed regular content, but obviously it may be less effective.

Twitter can also be a good place to market - join in on #screenshotsaturday preferably with some flashy gif animations.

You can also get some attention and valuable feedback by blogging here at GameDev.net (invite your team mates as well! You can also set up automatic import from your off-site blog.) and submit screenshots to the gallery, etc.

Hope that helps you get started! :)

Yes, I've seen the guide before, but one thing I didn't notice the last time is that they've also made a list of some devblogs, which will be very useful to me. 

Alright, so I guess I'll stay away from Fb until we got some regular content coming. And I will most definitely join the screenshot Saturday with our content! :D

Thank you so much for your help! :)

1 hour ago, CausticRuss said:

Hey TileM,

You're on the right track.

A few things you could do if haven't already done so:

• Blogging/guest blogging
  • Email lists
  • Retargeting
  • Community groups: LinkedIn, Quora, Reddit and of course this forum.
  • Visit Small Business Networking Events

Once you have a budget

1. Facebook Ads
  2. Google AdWords
  3. LinkedIn Ads
  4. Twitter Ads

Let me know if you wish to know more.

Hi! First, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated! :)

I have the blog, community groups and business events in my plans, but I do have 2 questions about Email list and retargeting. What is an efficient way to build an email list? And where could I learn more about retargeting?

I will be happy to recieve any tips you have! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement