🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Decision-Making for Game Programming Career

Started by
11 comments, last by MintyLyton 6 years, 10 months ago
16 minutes ago, MintyLyton said:

I guess my time management kind of sucks still cause I'm having a hard time between studying / working (as a part timer) / doing game jams / personal time.

Just prioritize. Right now, your highest priority needs to be your studies. Unless you're supporting yourself, in which case your highest priority needs to be making ends meet (with studies as 2nd highest).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
3 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

Just prioritize. Right now, your highest priority needs to be your studies. Unless you're supporting yourself, in which case your highest priority needs to be making ends meet (with studies as 2nd highest).

I'm currently living with my parents right now which I'm honestly grateful for. I'm just working part time to pay off debts / pay for my own necessities, while studying.

16 minutes ago, Iridescent said:

I wouldn't blame your time management. It is always difficult to manage work/social and learning new skills! Just focus on pressing on with what you're doing and making sure you're taking care of yourself at the same time.

I'm not sure if you have considered this, but you can also apply for app developer roles and keep game making on the side as part of jams. App teams may be more able to sustain junior roles and you can then learning programming on the job.

I have considered to become an app developer as work but most of the jobs involve languages / knowledge that I don't already possess, so I would need to take more time learning those to even get accepted into those jobs. Right now I'm just focusing on honing my math skills / working on Unity games with small scopes and just as Tom said, I would like to prioritize my studies before anything else. I know a lot of ppl that get pressured into working full time jobs that they don't like to make ends meet 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement