🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

super newbie question

Started by
11 comments, last by bleachblood 22 years, 7 months ago
Getting a degree didnt help me (still unemployed ), my experience is that someone with a little practical experience will always beat the dude who is all theory and no substance. If I could do it all over again, I would not bother with uni and spend those 4 years doing desktop support or something similarly entry-level.
Advertisement
Go for it. Learn C++ first, I did. Just know that most tutorials for C++ expect a background in programming, (usually in C) Okay, heres where everyone can prove me wrong and list the many tutorials that dont, but most I''ve seen do.
As degrees go, those that take Computer Science courses seem a little less suited to game programming then those who are self-taught. However it might help getting a job. My advice would be to seek out one of the few courses in game development. (They''re becoming more common every year.) So anyway, Good luck!
While Ibanez is right, it is hard to get your first job with a university degree, you shouldn''t dismiss it either. Once you get into the programming industry, you can go much farther with one under your belt. A good solution to the first job thing would be to go into a co-op program while getting your degree, that way you can usually count on getting a job when you are done. Also you can teach yourself game programming on the side and the university courses will allow you to understand things much more clearly.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement