🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A quick question about business manager

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 7 years ago

Hi friends,
Being working for some time in the game industry (we are a game development team) we have figured out that we need help of some person like a Business manager. The person who will help us to find new clients so it will let us to concentrate on the development process rather that on researching. 
Share your experience please, where is it better to find such person and what is a proper way to build a relationship with him? 
Any advises will be helpful. 
Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

I recommend networking. Network locally with business organizations (I don't mean companies, I mean special interest groups formed by and for businesspeople). And network at game conferences internationally (but you need to hire locally). 

Moving this to the Business forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

9 hours ago, Alexander_Vovk said:

Share your experience please, where is it better to find such person and what is a proper way to build a relationship with him? 

The role is called "Business Development". As Tom wrote, the primary task is networking, making connections between businesses and developing those connections in ways that are useful to the business.

Since you're small and looking to hire, you'll want to look for other nearby companies doing similar things (but not identical things) to you and find their business development people. Many small companies use contractors or agencies for the role. Do some digging and find out what agencies or contractors similar businesses are already using.  You can also find them with web searches, but results are less predictable.

Often times the business development agencies maintain large lists of companies they work with and notes about reliability, expectations, and costs. You can make your services available for their lists, and when you need help they can give you a short list of businesses that can help you, then introduce you to each other.

Once you've found a few, give them a call (with a telephone, not email) and ask what they can do for your needs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement