🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A new Game Style

Started by
21 comments, last by JohnTheRipper88 7 years ago
9 hours ago, Hodgman said:

Tech startups in the US typically budget $10k per staff member, per month.

$10K was a good number a decade back.  For the groups I've been working with over the past several years most have bumped the value to $15k.  The math is slightly harder, instead of adding a zero you add the zero then add half again.

The costs of games has gone up through all of the industry's history.  These days for PC and console games: Hobby games and "indie" (for some meanings of the term) have shoestring budgets. The "shovelware" style retail boxed games are often around $1M to $5M for development. Mainstream games are in the $10M-$50M range. AAA games and MMOs start around $100M.

Nearly all games and concepts (including this discussion) have bigger ideas than budget. 

Advertisement

Before writing single line of code, you need someone to literally bash your idea and inform you of issues orproblems you didn't even know that they exist. (This is also to ensure that you're not in Dunning-Kruger effect)

So I strongly suggest you to share it with a limited number of people if not declare publicly.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

On 6/18/2017 at 4:16 AM, newtechnology said:

^ This response made me giggle.. lol

All jokes aside, if you truly think you have a revolutionary idea, the best book on game design and game development that I can recommend is:

https://www.amazon.com/Level-Guide-Great-Video-Design/dp/1118877160/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498589173&sr=8-1&keywords=level+up+the+guide+to+great+video+game+design

It has tons of information and is an easy read.

Good luck with the dream game!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement