🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

monetization strategy for apps - Offer Wall

Started by
7 comments, last by Ricardo Lopes 7 years ago

I'm developing an application that has its own currency (users can earn the point). With this point, they have the ability to redeem it as money or buy a google play gift card. For this the best monetization system is an offerwall. Question: Does anyone know, just an estimate, how much an offerwall generates income? Does anyone know of a case study that shows values ​​in relation to number of users? Thanks

Advertisement

With this point, they have the ability to redeem it as money or buy a google play gift card.

You need to talk to a lawyer about that. Any time you give people back items of cash value it opens you up to all kinds of financial laws. Gambling laws, racketeering laws, money laundering laws.

It is a feature that (if done wrong) can land you in jail. Most companies avoid it because the laws vary so much across the globe.

Thanks for the reply. I get it. But there are a dozen companies that provide this system offer wall: Fyber, Tapjoy, Supersonic, inMobi and many others. We have applications that have been in the market for more than 3 years like Whaff, for example. I contacted Google and they introduced me to an API that automatically generates the gift card code exactly as Whaff does. My app is not much different from Whaff. I have the Whaff terms of use and I believe it is all within the law. But thanks for the warning.

Essentially, an offer wall is a page that appears within your app that offers users rewards or different incentives in exchange for spending money (or completing some action that you specify.) For example, offer walls can award users in-game currency or extra “lives” in exchange for downloading another app you have created or watching an advertisement about a product you sell.

Taken from here.

That is NOT what you described in your original post. You're talking about converting your in-game currency into something that has value in real life outside of your game.

What Fyber, Tapjoy, Supersonic, inMobi, and Google gift card API do works in the opposite direction (turn real life money into in-game currencty)

Essentially, an offer wall is a page that appears within your app that offers users rewards or different incentives in exchange for spending money (or completing some action that you specify.) For example, offer walls can award users in-game currency or extra “lives” in exchange for downloading another app you have created or watching an advertisement about a product you sell.

Taken from here.

That is NOT what you described in your original post. You're talking about converting your in-game currency into something that has value in real life outside of your game.

What Fyber, Tapjoy, Supersonic, inMobi, and Google gift card API do works in the opposite direction (turn real life money into in-game currencty)

Thank you, Matthias. The definition of Offer Wall that you have set up is just one of the possibilities. Apps like Whaff, Uento, appKarma, Gift Wallet, Slide Joy, Cash Reward, pay cash and send Gift Card Codes to everyone who accrues points by installing the available apps offers. You know these apps. As I said before: Whaff has been in the Play Store for over 3 years.

I don't know of any studies or releases about them, and I don't see any with google search.

I think it is going to depend on a few factors, boiling down to how much revenue you get versus how much you spend.

Many mobile games these days use a freemium model, and the vast majority of players give no money. If you're barely making money then exporting your cash is a bad thing, but if you're swimming in cash it can help boost the number of players. The alternative of using points to get other in-game elements as a bonus can have a similar effect of improving player involvement.

But again, if you are giving back items with cash value then you need a lawyer's involvement. I can guarantee you that the big companies you mentioned have lawyers that verified they aren't breaking laws.

I'm developing an application that has its own currency (users can earn the point). With this point, they have the ability to redeem it as money or buy a google play gift card. For this the best monetization system is an offerwall. Question: Does anyone know, just an estimate, how much an offerwall generates income? Does anyone know of a case study that shows values ​​in relation to number of users? Thanks

Not sure that offerwall is the best choice in your case. If you have a simple single currency f2p-game, you might be able to make more on the in-game purchases. But you won't know it for sure until you try though.

If you're building an f2p-economy, I'd recommend devtodev as the major system to analyze your data. And if you're building an offerwall, I'd suggest experimenting with the pattern of the offers within the list (from the most expensive offers to the cheapest ones and vice versa) - basing on my experience, it may add up to +30% to your income.

Not sure that offerwall is the best choice in your case. If you have a simple single currency f2p-game, you might be able to make more on the in-game purchases. But you won't know it for sure until you try though.

If you're building an f2p-economy, I'd recommend devtodev as the major system to analyze your data. And if you're building an offerwall, I'd suggest experimenting with the pattern of the offers within the list (from the most expensive offers to the cheapest ones and vice versa) - basing on my experience, it may add up to +30% to your income.

Thanks for the advive, devanalyst. I will keep it in mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement