🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

(free) Game Design dedicated website

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 7 years ago

Hello everyone.
As in subject, I'm looking for a website where I can learn Game Design, better if free.
I'm not looking for Game development, programming, digital content creation, etc.
What I would like is a website about Story Telling and Game Design.

If you're aware of any, please post it here.

Thanks in advance for either.

Bye, Ivano.

Advertisement
If you want to be a better storyteller, find some resources on writing and start practicing writing stories. Not really a game design thing.

For game design, you aren't going to find any courses, because it's too broad of a subject for short courses to be useful. Though, you can find people talking about their games and what they've learned. Search through Gamasutra's blogs and GDC's youtube channel.

Thanks for your advice.
Luckily I already have some creative writing background.

I also thought about GamaSutra, but at a first look I disliked it.

I'll give it another try.

Bye, Ivano.

Gamasutra has an enormous body of articles related to design, and an abundance of articles on other disciplines. They're a great resource even if you may dislike the format of the site. They've been around for about 20 years. Even though their front pages are a news feed, they have tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of articles on design topics across the board, postmortems for many projects about what went right and what went wrong, and much more. It is hard to overstate the depth of knowledge in the articles at Gamasutra.

You may also enjoy the youtube channel ExtraCredits, many of the videos are about game design and they're entertaining to watch. They now have several sub-channels going, you want the videos with a green thumbnail background. The bronze thumbnail backgrounds are for history articles, which are also interesting but not related to game design.

And for discussion of game design you're already at the best site on the Internet, GameDev.net. Other sites have different themes, Gamasutra for read-only articles and the Stack Exchange family for strictly-enforced Q&A without discussion, this is the go-to site for discussions and back-and-forth exchanges on game development topics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement