🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Civilization, Sim-city and 4X fans.

Started by
10 comments, last by Awoken 7 years ago

It's a big idea, imagine a game that is like Civilization, but real time. A real-time Civilization.
It's a game where you play online with dozens, maybe even hundreds of other players.
The Civilization building process is simulated, much like how Sim-city simulates City Building.
It's a browser game and a game session could take weeks to months to complete. The simulation continues while you are away, much like
traditional browser games.

My attempt at this idea is to simulate thousands of individual people who'd make up these Tribes, Communities and Civilizations.
Each possessing their own needs and wants. Participating together to simulate things like trade, wealth, war and conquest.

If you're a fan of games like Civilization, Sim-City and 4X games, what do you think of this proposed game? What are your thoughts, ideas?

Advertisement

Yeah, what are your resources because this sounds impossibly big. Remember that your gonna have to pay to host this game, and your gonna need to attract a player base from the get-go or they wont be able to take advantage of the features...

This sounds like a mashup of Dwarf Fortress, GoodGame Empire and Age of Empires...

It just doesn't sound feasible without the backing of a large team, and a lot of funding.

quillbolth, well you're right about a lot of what you said. What I'm trying to do is attempt to match player expectations with provided content. No Man Sky case in point. The trick for me is to marry my own motivation( that which I mentioned in my original post ), player expectation and finally the actual content of the game I able to create. In order for me to reach this lofty vision I've had to trim a lot of what you'd see in games like Civilization, GoodGame Empire and Ages. But on the other hand I've drafted up concepts for game-play I personally have never seen in a game before, or at least certain elements.

My only thought is that coincidentally I'm enjoying the opposite lately. Polytopia, is a relatively small scale Civ style game (world seems to be 16*16 tiles with 4 civs selected) with politics removed. Basic game missions being world domination or attempt to get best score within 30 turns. Most important to me is a pick up put down playability.

Sorry for sounding like spam but the juxtaposition of the two designs seems relevant. And it's one of those games that kinda pisses me off and makes me jealous because it's got a general simplicity to it that makes me feel like it's something that should be within the realm of my ability to do and here I am messing around with other ridiculous ideas I can't or won't let go of.

If you're looking at doing a hobby project, you have no one to answer to for your designs but yourself. Build the project that you truly want and make no apologies (that's what I'm doing). If you're looking at building something either for a portfolio or a code library for your career or for something to potentially sell, consider that indeed sometimes less is more.

Sounds very Travian ( and Clash of Clans ? ) to me and scope seems wide as well.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Your designs are interesting, but be aware that you are bringing in large parts of games costing tens of millions of dollars each, and mashing them together in ways that will cost even more to implement.

If your idea is going to remain an idea then by all means dream big. You've got an interesting mix for the dream.

But if you want your idea to become an implementation, you'll need to think much smaller.

I always wanted a huuuuuge 4X without the silly 'only up till our tech level' limitation (or only future tech). The MMO part is nice but not essential for me.

Of course, you already know what I am working on, so that should come as no surprise ;-)

If you have more ideas, let me steal I MEAN HEAR THEM! Hear them, that's, that's what I meant, yeah.....

[DEDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS]

Embassy, steal away buddy! hahaha.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've been kinda pondering your responses and thinking about what direction I'm going to pursue. Right now I think what I need to do is actually present something to try out and see what people think then.

Yeah, while this game sounds awesome, it does sound massive. If anything, you might want to lay out everything you want to do in it then list what you feel you can do, what you can't, and what you know you will need a team for. It'll help guide you on your way.

If you're a fan of games like Civilization, Sim-City and 4X games, what do you think of this proposed game? What are your thoughts, ideas?

I don't like it at all. All these games you mentioned have one huge common mechanic, management without a time limit. Make it real time without being able to pause would break that. If such a game would exist, the people with the most spare time would rule unless if there was money involved then that title would go to the richest.

much like traditional browser games. My attempt at this idea is to simulate thousands of individual people who'd make up these Tribes, Communities and Civilizations. Each possessing their own needs and wants. Participating together to simulate things like trade, wealth, war and conquest

Trade, wealth, war and conquest? Sounds exactly like traditional browser games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement