🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

i need your advice

Started by
6 comments, last by frob 7 years, 2 months ago

i want to get a job but i don't have 3 years of experience in game development. i mean i am only 18 years old and i write my own games in unreal engine 4 and unity but i want to work with team on serious project but all the jobs require more than 3 years of experience in game industry... i really have skills in c/c++/c# programming languages and really want to use them but don't know where to start! any advice?

Advertisement

Produce a good website that shows off your work, and supply a link to that when applying to jobs. Not all the jobs require 3 years of experience, so keep searching and look for junior roles. It will also help if you get a relevant university degree.

Kylotan Currently i am in ITSTEP academy cause there are no good universities in my country where they teach programming... i mean it is not very popular here but i am very interested in it and put all the time i have in it! as soon as i finish studying here i think that i will register for microsoft exam and hopefully get something :D i don't know whether it will be enough or not... i have some ideas and want to work on it with my friends! is it good to make a good project first and publish it to get some recognition?

Employers want to see what you can do. So if you have good work that is online for them to look at, they're more likely to offer you an interview.

there are no good universities in my country where they teach programming
You don't learn good programming in school or university. Programming is a skill. You learn it by doing. You demonstrate skill by showing what you've done so far.

there are no good universities in my country where they teach programming
You don't learn good programming in school or university. Programming is a skill. You learn it by doing. You demonstrate skill by showing what you've done so far.

I would say thats half true, you can learn a lot at uni in terms of like topics / how to do certain things, but you only really get good at using the things you will learn at uni by applying them to actual projects - all things you can indeed learn on your own though it may be a rougher journey.

But as the guys mentioned, projects / demos that you can put together to show "this is what I have built" is generally a pretty key thing to getting a job.

i want to get a job

We have a forum for that. Moving this there. Niccolo, please read the
Game Industry Job Advice FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Your location on the globe matters quite a lot.

If you are located in the US, UK, or several other western nations education is given high priority. It is not strictly required, but there are so many applicants and most have a degree in computer science. The companies look for entry-level workers basically in this order:

• Degree and portfolio
  • Degree, no portfolio
  • No degree, portfolio
  • No degree, no portfolio

In countries and cities where people are highly educated, employers rarely get down the list to the no degree folks.

However, in other places of the world there is less emphasis on the degree. In that case it is mostly what you have done, your portfolio is the key.

Another aspect of location: Are there game studios near you? There is a great world map that covers most game studios. If there is no red dot near you then you'll likely need to move.

Finally, regarding the three years of experience, game studios have no difficulty at all finding people with <3 years experience. There are plenty of college graduates applying all the time. They can ask current employees for referrals and they'll get more entry-level developers and experienced non-industry developers than they need. Most entry level positions are not advertised, although a few are. That's where networking (talking to people) can help you break in to the industry. Several job hunting resources claim it is about ten times more effective than sending out applications. That is, one hour working your social network equals about ten hours sending out your CV or resume.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement