🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

This is my passion and I have barely started. Is it possible?

Started by
8 comments, last by Nypyren 7 years, 3 months ago

Hi. This is my first post here. It's been a few years coming. I've been toying with making my own video games for a couple of years.

You see, I'm an accountant. I work a full-time job. Usually, I come home at night and play video games. I have been for years.

It was a few years ago, after playing failed early release after failed early release, that I realized I would like to take a shot at game development.

It's not about the money... I mean, it'd be great to be wealthy. But, man... it's about the passion for great games.. and the heartbreak from could've been great games that drives me to do this.

I've barely began programming. I've barely began working with Unity (I rolled a few balls around the grid). And, it clicks. Logic. I love it.

My question... I'm 38. I have a career. No family. My passion for gaming is unparalleled (It's pretty much been my life outside of work). My drive is intense when I finally know I want something.

You guys/girls reading this know... should I do this? is it worth it?

Advertisement

Moving to the career section of the site. Look to the sidebar on your right for the FAQs: --->

No, you are not too late. Lots of details in the FAQ links on your right.

Just be mindful that playing games is different from making games, like cooking a meal and eating a meal are different, or hearing a concert and performing a concert are different, or watching a performance and working as an actor are different.

If you really are passionate about making great software instead of using great software, then it can be a great career path.

Wow.. .the FAQ's are where it's at. Thanks, frob.

Moving to the career section of the site. Look to the sidebar on your right for the FAQs: --->

No, you are not too late. Lots of details in the FAQ links on your right.

Just be mindful that playing games is different from making games, like cooking a meal and eating a meal are different, or hearing a concert and performing a concert are different, or watching a performance and working as an actor are different.

If you really are passionate about making great software instead of using great software, then it can be a great career path.

Wow, the FAQ's are where it's at. Thanks, Frob.

About all I could find that isn't already covered in the FAQs is...

should I do this?

This is something YOU have to decide. And apparently you have doubts. Why don't you
just examine your doubts? If you want to get input on those, let's have'em.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Should you spend your spare time learning how to make video games? Absolutely! Should you quit your job and go into gamedev? No reason you need to decide now.

Download Unity or Unreal and follow the tutorials to make simple games. You'll find it's really rewarding to just make something move! Gamedev is like the ultimate sandbox. You can do anything with it!

About all I could find that isn't already covered in the FAQs is...

should I do this?

This is something YOU have to decide. And apparently you have doubts. Why don't you
just examine your doubts? If you want to get input on those, let's have'em.

You're right. I have doubts. I've also noticed.. you're the guy that wrote all the FAQ's? Much respect.

And your question has had me reflecting on this all day.

I almost feel ashamed having posted this question now. I can't imagine how many thousands of people must've asked you this.

So, here's where your comment has brought me to: I don't know if I can ever make the Path of Exile/Diablo type game I'd like to make. It incites doubt and whether or not it is worth it to try. Would it take one person 10 years? 15 years?

But, the flip side is that if I don't do it I'll always regret it. And, having been an accountant I know that other opportunities can always lay around the corner - but you have to turn that corner to find them.

So, I'm going to stop asking questions and do it. You'll be seeing me around.

Thanks for the feedback.

Should you spend your spare time learning how to make video games? Absolutely! Should you quit your job and go into gamedev? No reason you need to decide now.

Download Unity or Unreal and follow the tutorials to make simple games. You'll find it's really rewarding to just make something move! Gamedev is like the ultimate sandbox. You can do anything with it!

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement! I've been working a little with Unity and will continue to do so. As for now, I will hang on to my day job :)

I don't know if I can ever make the Path of Exile/Diablo type game I'd like to make. It incites
doubt and whether or not it is worth it to try. Would it take one person 10 years? 15 years?

This is not a Job Advice question. You could ask this sort of question in the For Beginners forum
(a technical board where people discuss learning how to make games).
This forum is just for questions about getting jobs, keeping them, doing well at them, etc.
BTW, "is it worth it" is covered in the frequently asked questions.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Path of Exile / Diablo type game ... Would it take one person 10 years? 15 years?

Not possible. Look over Path of Exile's credits listing. It runs on and on for over 30 minutes.

The game was six years in the making made up of professional teams, ten years if you count all the expansions. Some quick estimates means somewhere on the order of 600 to 1200 work years.

So no, you won't be doing that alone. No human could.

However, there are people who make extremely small 'spiritual successors', that are micro-games that implement some specific feeling from the game. They are nowhere near the scope of the original, but they really should't expect to be.

Path of Exile / Diablo type game ... Would it take one person 10 years? 15 years?

Not possible. Look over Path of Exile's credits listing. It runs on and on for over 30 minutes.

9/10ths of that credits video is "Community Supporters". The actual team looks pretty standard to me. Still easily more than a single person could do alone without some extremely advanced automation, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement