🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

is this a good idea? MMO Racing game

Started by
22 comments, last by KianEon 7 years, 1 month ago

I've played quite a bit of the latest Need For Speed, which is open world, and has some MMO content (and is one of the games in Origin Access), and I'm really happy I finally found a racing game like NFS Underground 2!

I find your dedication to that project amazing, and kinda inspiring! It's been a while since I started on an adventure like that, that I knew would take ages to complete :P I still have the 3000 pages novel I'm writing, but I kinda of set it aside to start my company.

If you're so pationnate about making games, have you ever thought about a career in game developpment?

For the project, I'm not really technically savvy, but if you have any gameplay, mechanics, or feedback related questions (or any other I could answer), feel free to ask!

Aurelien Folie - Odin - Founder of Asgaard Studio

Creator of unique, bespoke experiences

Gentleman Extraordinaire

Advertisement

Oh look at all this replies.. :)
I wouldn't want any money from it so it would be absolutely free.
It should be open source at some point. Perhaps it would be good to release tools to host private servers or code LAN in it.

I would really want to work on 200 square kilometers of the place I live in. Once that is done I could do more real world locations or atleast write a tutorial and show the procedures.
Untitled.png

The cars would be at this level of quality.. mostly ripped from GT2. Other cars could be easily created with the help of some generic blueprints and images found on google.

fFhmW5d.png

The features I would want to build in would be gear, suspension, ECU, Turbo tuning.. Perhaps even a ingame car skin drawing tool. So if you want to colour your windows or mirrors or change just about everything...well perhaps that could be done somehow.

I would pretty much copy The Crew and Need for Speed World... and features from Need for Speed Underground 2.. where you can select to purchase a tower strut or small-large sway bars..stuff like that.

But first.. I'd like to try and create just 1 square kilometer in a 1999 era graphics and than write a procedure for how to do it and follow that same way of doing it for the rest of 200km 2. For all I care it can look like this xD
other-consoles-46477-61343691326.jpg

So yea.. I would use the cars, sounds from Gran Turismo 2.. Most probably rip textures from other racing games and use it on the transformed lidar location to subsampled mesh. I think it was never done before.. Exactly copying a location but limiting yourself to 1996-1999 graphics. And even if all this is illegal.. me no care. I would do it for the love of semi arcade racing games and online competition.

What engine are you using

For anyone looking at this, DO NOT use models or art that you ripped from something else, and DO NOT copy someone else's IP or likeness. Tiny projects get shut down by C&D's all the time, meaning your effort will go into the dumpster.

What engine are you using

For now I don't have any.. I'm not even thinking about that yet. My priority for now is just chilling and laying back, thinking about ArcGIS satellite imagery server download tools. If I won't find anything.. I would have to print screen everything manually and assemble them..which is a pain in the ass..thats what is my priority and current concern.

For anyone looking at this, DO NOT use models or art that you ripped from something else, and DO NOT copy someone else's IP or likeness. Tiny projects get shut down by C&D's all the time, meaning your effort will go into the dumpster.

Yeah, bend em over and find them in the alps.. There is no need to be worried. If or when this game of mine would be done (25 years).. it would be an undergroundish game that would be nonprofitable..non money thingy. Would be known amongst very few racers at best. An underground cult like Street Tuning Evolution or Street Legal Racing Redline on GOM.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement