🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does my art match Concept Art for Games

Started by
4 comments, last by sunandshadow 7 years, 3 months ago

Hi,

My name is Klaudia Bezak. I am an ambitious artist, illustrator and concept artist. . I have painted many pictures for private clients, illustrated books, created posters and characters designs, pages for comic books, have my works published in magazines etc., but my real dream is to create concept art for games. I've been sending my CV to games companies for a few days, but to be honest, I'm not sure if the art I create right now is something that games companies could look for. Could you tell me if I should start painting and drawing digitally to be considered for a concept artist position?

[attachment=35198:1.jpg][attachment=35199:25.jpg]

[attachment=35200:13.jpg][attachment=35201:27.jpg]

[attachment=35203:15.jpg][attachment=35202:644.jpg]

[attachment=35204:26.jpg][attachment=35205:3.jpg]

[attachment=35206:17.jpg][attachment=35207:28.jpg]

Advertisement

The only thing that strikes me as a problem here is that the use of gray for shading is screwing up your color palette, so they don't really pop, and in some cases look a little ill. The clearest example is the woman with the mechanical leg - those gray shadows on her skin really don't look good. The shapes of everything look good.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

It looks like you have good artistic skills but you have a very distinct style there, and part of the process of doing concepts professionally is that you need to be able to adapt to the mood of the project, not just in terms of the content but also in terms of the rendering, lighting and shading styles. If you wanted to work on a concept art portfolio my advice - not as an artist myself, but as someone who works with concept artists - is to try and work with a few different styles, and make it clear what you are communicating in each one. Come up with an imaginary brief for each one and attempt to meet it in the art. And if you are mainly/only working with traditional media you might want to consider doing more in digital, which would help you with potential game industry roles.

The only thing that strikes me as a problem here is that the use of gray for shading is screwing up your color palette, so they don't really pop, and in some cases look a little ill. The clearest example is the woman with the mechanical leg - those gray shadows on her skin really don't look good. The shapes of everything look good.

Thank you very much for your reply! Yes, I have a problem with this, cannot find a good colour to shade skin...

It looks like you have good artistic skills but you have a very distinct style there, and part of the process of doing concepts professionally is that you need to be able to adapt to the mood of the project, not just in terms of the content but also in terms of the rendering, lighting and shading styles. If you wanted to work on a concept art portfolio my advice - not as an artist myself, but as someone who works with concept artists - is to try and work with a few different styles, and make it clear what you are communicating in each one. Come up with an imaginary brief for each one and attempt to meet it in the art. And if you are mainly/only working with traditional media you might want to consider doing more in digital, which would help you with potential game industry roles.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply, I truly appreciate your advice! Yes, I'm afraid you're right, I need to work on a mood in my illustrations. And I think that digital art would help me to achieve that. So maybe it's high time I started usuing my digital table and learn digital art.

I think you should read this: Let's Get Real About Concept Art

Thank you very much for your reply! Yes, I have a problem with this, cannot find a good colour to shade skin.

You should choose a color that matches the light in the picture. Like, if the light is yellow, use yellow, and if the light is orange, use orange.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement