🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DEVELOP VIDEOGAMES?

Started by
11 comments, last by ItamarReiner 7 years, 3 months ago

Should i go? The formation takes 10 month....i have no experience. With this formation and a lot of work by myself....it´s possible get a job in his world?

I'd recommend you get a copy of the book "What Color Is Your Parachute?" that includes many chapters on making a lateral career change. (That is, making a career change from one industry to another industry or from one role to another role.) The book has been a best-seller for decades and if you don't want to buy it, your local library is certain to have some copies.

The extremely simplified version of something the book covers in multiple chapters is that you have two transitions to make. One transition from your current role to a different role, and you have another transition from one industry to another industry.

Sometimes the transition requires education or training. Sometimes that can be done through individual study, other times it is better done going to training seminars, workshops, or returning to school. That is unique to the individual and how they best gain what they need.

It is easier, but takes more time, to do the transitions sequentially. You might transition to a game industry doing your current role, then transition to the other role. Or you might transition to the role while remaining in your current field, then transition to the game industry.

It is also possible to make both transitions at once. I know someone who spent 30 years of her career as a nurse, then took a six-month course and got a job as a game artist. (In addition to her role as an artist and now as a project manager, people still talk to her whenever they have a medical concern, which I think is fun.)

Advertisement

Thanks everybody....today i work with Blender at first time....and drawing a little bit. Soon i will upload my progress to get your opinion.

Repeat...thanks everybody. I´m in a spanish forum like this...but i have no answer, and this forum...a lot of answer....:D

If you are paying for a home, it seems you would be unable or unwilling to relocate. which could be a big problem if you don't live in an area with a well established game development scene.

Unless your skills are far above average, studios will not even bother replying to job applications if you live too far away and/or lack the proper work authorization.

Holding a team of hobbyists together for long enough to publish a game is no easy feat.

Freelancing isn't a cake walk either, whether it is finding clients, sticking to deadlines or dealing with the financial side of things.

I'd love to tell you that it will all work out in the end if you just keep trying, but that hasn't been the case for me so far. I still refuse to give up, can't see myself being happy doing anything else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement