🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C++: So many resources, so strung thing

Started by
9 comments, last by Gamersez 22 years, 7 months ago
Hey y''all, I have Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days, Ivan Horton''s Introduction to Visual C++ 6.0 (came with VC++), and of course the beloved world wide web. Since I can''t step outside of my bewilderment, does anyone have suggestions on how you, yourself learned to program in C++? What do you think? Should I stay on one book, finish it (whether or not it has errors galore like Sam''s TYVC++ in 21 days) and then move on? I''ve just become so scatterbrained with every resource I am challenged to focus. Partly, because I want to learn the basics and I want to learn it NOW! I want to CHOMP instead of chew. I am willing to sacrifice some of my sanity...... Forgive my incoherent thought process...I''m somewhat tired. Please, let me know your challenges and victories in learning so that I know, though the hill is steep, others like myself can climb it to C++ profficiency... "I Vanna Fryyyy Skyyyy Hiiiiiiigh! Vroooll to get Vyyy!" -Sega''''s "Daytona USA"
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.
Advertisement
There are 4 things that you need to do in order to learn C++ (At least that worked for me)

1. Find someone to dicuss with.
One thing is learning by yourself, but having someone to discuss with really boost learning process, and also you get more committed (Use GD.Net, flipcode or whatever if you don't have anyone where you live).

2. Projects.
Code, code, code, code. It almost doesn't matter what you do, as long as it can keep your interest up.

3. Enroll in a class.
Now this is proparly the best thing to do, I've learned a lot at school, and no not from my teacher . I got a lot of projects, and used my knowledge to help my class mates and actually got a better understanding of things.

4. Read.
Keep reading everything you can get a hold of, and try new things out.

That's about all. You could start making a little game like tetris or TicTacToe (Helped me) and then move on

Hope this helps

-- Sturm

---------------------------------------------------
Life after death? No thanks, I want to live NOW
--- Sturm 2001

Edited by - Sturm on November 26, 2001 11:22:17 PM
---------------------------------------------------Life after death? No thanks, I want to live NOW --- Sturm 2001
All you need to know is RCR:

• R ead
  • C ode
  • R epeat

I just made that up, but essentially that is what I did.

I also took quite a few computer science courses; the teachers don''t teach you (you teach yourself), but you learn a lot from the projects they give you. Also the classes enforce structure in design principles and also introduce you to new methodologies, etc.

If you get into the game programming side of things, I started out with pong, then breakout, then tetris, then pac-man, then the real good stuff.
Focus on one thing at a time. After 6+ years of C++ programming and 8+ years programming in general, I still drop everything at times so I can focus on a new technology I''m learning. Learning your language and your compiler go hand in hand, but anything outside that should come later. Understand, though, that I''m not saying you must master the language and/or compiler before you start learning other things, but be comfortable with them both. It will save you much grief later.

Discussion is good, but independent study is better. I find it more than mildly irritating how many people on this site never show any spark of initiative in looking for information (search engines, hello?) I also subscribe to Floppy''s RCR methodology: read about a technique or technology, code the examples and execute them, read about possible modifications/enhancements, code them up and execute, read about projects you might want to use your new-found knowledge with, code them up and execute... ad infinitum.

Good luck.
Program.
Program.
Program.
Start out small, get big.
After you get the basics of C++ down, get the OpenGL Red book and learn opengl basics. Graphics are alot more fun than watching text on the screen.
Learn...just learn. So long as its interesting, read in a topic.
You will find surprising applications for stuff.
For instance, I`m thinking about applying chaos theory to get a random numbre generator. Not that I`m great at chaos theory...
I`ve written a small un-published paper on genetic algorithims for school. I used a textbook on genetics for the esentials...

So learning stuff and applying it in your program is how you do it.

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V''''lion
~V'lionBugle4d
I am an ''auditory'' leaner. I had three teach yourself books, but wasn''t picking up very much (I was ok until the chapters about pointers). I enrolled in class, and instantly picked up on all that I had read about. In all reality, I probably wouldn''t have done so well in class (105%) without the prior study, but I still needed to have a trained profesional to reinforce what I had already read about. Another good thing is to get a good problem, and code a program for it, then go back and do it again as differently as you can. I did this three or four times on one project just to see how much I had learned during the semester.

What I didn''t know, but I''m just figuring out, is that you also need to take some more advanced math courses if you want to program 3D games. So, if you plan on taking a course on programming, I suggest also getting a couple of math courses under your belt while you are there.

Good luck.
If at first you don't succeed, use profanity and try, try again.
quote: Original post by GrandMLee
In all reality, I probably wouldn''t have done so well in class (105%) without the prior study...

105%! Not too bad. You did well in the class and redefined the concept of perfection

The instructor had an optional lab and assignment. I did them, plus I always set the curve on the exams.
If at first you don't succeed, use profanity and try, try again.
I was just kidding, hence the smilies
Okay...one thing at a time and code like crazy...got it. Thanks for the encouragement and feel free to add anymore suggestions that pop up in your minds.

"I Vanna Fryyyy Skyyyy Hiiiiiiigh! Vroooll to get Vyyy!" -Sega''''s "Daytona USA"
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement