🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do I start?

Started by
10 comments, last by superdood13 22 years, 7 months ago
Because I have heard that making a tetris game is the best place to start that is what I am going to do. But just one question... would it be better to learn something like this using straight C++ or should I try to use DirectX too? Any advice would be helpful... thanx...
If the world didn't suck we would all fly off!
Advertisement
You can''t really make a decent Tetris game, at least one you would want to play, using just characters. You really don''t need to know how to do much in DX except draw a textured quad (for the blocks). The rest is all collision detection, and game play stuff.
It would be best to learn DX a little and delve into Tetris.
Start here.
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
Start here.

you say that so much, you should just put it in your sig so you can click "reply" then "post"... save yourself a few seconds...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Done.

Start Here!
I believe that beginners should start with DOS mode13h programming. It''s easy to implement, plus it (understandably) introduces some vital concepts in graphics display.
quote: Original post by JDL
I believe that beginners should start with DOS mode13h programming. It''s easy to implement, plus it (understandably) introduces some vital concepts in graphics display.

It''s obsolete, and introduces other troublesome issues (segmented memory model, amongst others). Windows isn''t that hard anymore; it''s not like anyone''s still using WinG or something...

Start Here!
Hey,

I am about 3 months into learning games programming now. What I did was get the Sams teach yourself C++ book, go through that. I then got the Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre Lamothe and I am currently going through that. It teaches you everything in great detail. Some say its old and perhaps outdated, but I have to say for someone who is okay at programming not a genius by far that it is without doubt the best buy I have ever made! After a month the book will have you doing things you never thought you could Hope this helps.

Paul
My first game ever made was a text-mode tetris, and it was good for learning purposes. Then when it was finished i re-wrote it using glut/opengl. My next step will be writing it in SDL.
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
it''s not like anyone''s still using WinG or something...

Heh... I was looking through my old projects the other day, and would you guess what I found...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement