🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Game Idea (Open World Action-Adventure RPG)

Started by
15 comments, last by TashaLouiseArt 7 years, 4 months ago
the complex adventures of the Elder Scrolls

That' s a matter of opinion. Skyrim is known to be "a mile wide and an inch deep". Same could be said for Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas - i have them all. Bethesda is not known for their quest writing - except perhaps in a bad way.

. If you are unfamiliar with any of the titles above, I would suggest you to search for gameplay videos on Youtube.

An explanation of the feature as well as a reference to another game that someone may or may not be familiar with would help a lot. some of us don't have time to research games just to understand what you're talking about. We have our own games to build.

As for feed back,

the design sounds ultra cooking cutter. yet another console storyline adventure rpg thingy. done to death and over again.

The game is filled with randomly generated side-quests that will keep players busy for countless hours.

only if they are good.

As Jozef, you will explore and liberate the land of Nueva Liberia

and what if you don't want to? what else is there to do in your "open world" ? Try playing skyrim without doing ANY quests, and see what there is left to do in the world - collect houses and horses?

Compelling content is whats required.

And a goal. Either determined by the player, or given to them by the game - but NOT forced upon them - open world - remember? The PLAYER decides what to do, not the designer. The designer's job is to create an interesting world for the player to interact with.

As for the scope:

I assume you're not making a proceedurally generated world. I'm currently working on a FPSRPG / person sim (think syrim meest the sims in first and 3rd person views). the game world is 2500 miles across - the size of north america - but its proceedurally generated. I'm a solo dev, working fulltime / overtime. the game will take about 3-4 years. and i've been writing PC games for 36 years now. to give you an idea of sizeof(the game):

50 types of monsters with unique models.

300 types of objects including 65 weapon ammo combos and a couple dozen types of armor.

50 skills with exp in each.

thousands or tens of thousands of actions. there are a couple dozen different resource types for gathering. all items are craftable and repairable.

All that said, with respect to your idea, for fans of the standard fare, its sounds like a good game. Its just a matter of how fast you can build it. As you can see from the responses so far, most folks think its a bit much for one person. I'd tend to agree. Even with an engine and assets ready to go, it would still be a year or two full time i'd imaging, and thats if you've done it all before - as in "been there - done that". I would not spend 2 years of my life on a title that is so similar to other games. the odds of recouping your investment are low. Of course, if is just for fun, then go for it! Wasted time and money are not issues then. In fact, you might learn a few things that you might put to profitable use in the future if you ever decide to make a game to sell.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Advertisement

Thanks Norman Barrows and every one else who commented. I may have been a little ahead of myself there! I respect your honesty and I'm deeply grateful for it.

Thanks Norman Barrows and every one else who commented. I may have been a little ahead of myself there! I respect your honesty and I'm deeply grateful for it.

Don't let this get you down though. If you are passionate about making games then do it. Just start with something simpler.

My current game project Platform RPG

Yea I agree with happycoder. Your best bet is to get much simpler than what you currently have.

Modding a game may actually be a better way to start rather than just work something like this on and off over a year. An existing game provides a lot you could already use and add on to, but at the same time it gives you the ability to really bring some of your ideas to life at least. It may not be your game, but it is a point to start at.

People have already posted about this so I won't reiterate, but generally it's covers everything. You probably can't do your original idea as a game on your own, not without some significant scale back in some way or the other, regardless of experience.

If you have code experience, then I'd definitely spend some time thinking about how to scale back or how to perhaps modify some of the ideas into a mod for a game that you think would work well with these ideas.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

If you have 36 years of experience as you claim, then you can do it alone, you do not need our permission.

I thought that you were a university student that tried to create this game as an escape from reality. So what i said then, was referring to the fact that while it seems fun to create a game at first, soon it becomes "Work". You won't be able to draw inspiration from the game alone, you will have to find alternative routes to be motivated.

So it's Bernie Sanders becomes Doctor Who and overthrows Donald Trump? I'll pre-order.

I like the concept of finally having a steampunk based world(closest I've seen is Bioshock series), but honestly I'm not sure how you'll be able to do all this by yourself by christmas. Sure you've got assets and animations done, but you still have to think about coding, story writing, environment design, not to mention the hundreds of hours of playtesting to make sure your game works and is fun.

I'd suggest toning it down a bit. I also have the problem of trying to be overly ambitious even though I mostly just focus on the 2D art aspect of making games. I suggest starting with just trying to create your demo for now which would probably run as your game's tutorial level. You could then continue building on top of that. Try to really think about level design and how the gameplay would be from a player's perspective. If the game doesn't work as far as being a fun game, it'd be better to just scrap it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement