🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

ASM on different processors.

Started by
14 comments, last by Sinner_Zero 22 years, 7 months ago
Hey, see, I''m learning 80x86 ASM right, thats for intel ships, but will it also work with ATHLONS and what about older ships, to be specific a 486DX2-100, and thats just cuz it was upgraded from a 50, damn thing can somehow run win98.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Sinner_Zero
...thats for intel ships...

Um, Intel chips?

Assembly is platform specific. However the 80x86 processor family counts as a single platform. The base set of 32-bit instructions will work on all Intel and Intel-based chips from the 386 upwards, but each processor has instructions specific to itself. The manuals for all Intel processors are available at their website (Pentium manuals, for example, are at http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium/manuals/).

Athlons, Cyrix chips, etc all use the 80x86 instructions set, but often extend them (like AMD''s 3D Now! technology)
The answer is ''yes''
lol, yes it is =)

and I think it''s obvious I meant chips, I don''t got time here, not at home with most of these messages.
Of course, you can''t use pentium-specifc instructions on a 486, or 286 instructions on a 186.

For instance, shl ax,2 won''t work on a 186, though it will on a 286.

But the basic things, like say mov ax,bx will work on all the x86 processors. (And the x88 as well, if you happen to dig one out of a museum.)
dang....well my question aws leaning torwards, are there dif registers on pentiums than on 486?
quote: Original post by Sinner_Zero
dang....well my question aws leaning torwards, are there dif registers on pentiums than on 486?

The same registers on a 486 are available on a Pentium. Pentiums added the new 32-bit registers eax, ebx, ecx, and edx.

-Steven
I think the other guys have covered this nicely. I just want to point out that it should have been obvious that assembly code written for a pentium would also run on an athlon. What''s the difference between an .exe produced by an assembler, and one produced by a c/c++ compiler?

After all, c/c++ compilers generally compile the source code into assembly, and then run an assembler on that
Actually the 486 is able to access extended registers also (well I could on my dx4-100), maybe the SX couldnt, I dont know.
Just to clarify ... the 32 bit registers have been available since the 386SX.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement