🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is a good DirectX 8 book for beginners?

Started by
5 comments, last by Wile_E 22 years, 7 months ago
First, sorry if this has been asked before. I have some basic knowledge of C++, VB, and ASM, from taking classes at my University. I currently would now like to begin learning DirectX. I bought the book Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe sometime ago. This is definitely NOT a beginner''s book, because I''m having a very difficult time understanding the first few chapters. He immediately starts going into about calling certain functions and such, but doesn''t explicitly explain the syntax of the code. I want a book that is very basic and shows you detailed steps. I''d like to learn 2D first. Any suggestions on a book?
Advertisement
www.prima-tech.com

They have a book called "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming"

------------------------------
(Since noone seems to look at the article proposal forums..)
Interested in Flash tutorials on GameDev? Speak Up Here!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
It sounds like me you have had enough experience that you could jump right into the tutorials that are in the SDK.
If you are looking for books on DX8.0, you are pretty much out of luck at this point. I have looked at a bunch and they are less than trash. Go to microsofts MSDN and they have some very nice tutorials.
-Dan
most of the members here at gamedev have used ''Tricks'' (as we like to call it) at some point. to understand that book, yyou must have a working knowledge of c++ and a bit of windows programming using MFC helps a little. if you dont understand the first few chapters, try them again and make sure you did everything correctly.

X4J
X4J
WIN32 GAME DEVELOPER''S BOOK DIRECTX3 by Jason Kolb - though it''s kinda outdated i think(not sure) but that''s what i''m reading right now and besides you wanna go 2D first, i don''t know about D3D,
Well I went looking around at several bookstores but didn''t see any good DX8 books, nor any good DX7. I guess I''ll just try the examples that come with the SDK and try reading the "Tricks..." book again.

It''s so sad that my university doesn''t offer any courses related to computer graphics. Everything is just theory and junk like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement