🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to check the Names

Started by
6 comments, last by Norman Barrows 7 years, 4 months ago

Hi,

I am in the processing of producing my first mobile game. I have a tentative title in mind. Is there a way to check whether there are any game available in the IOS or google play stores before I go ahead and work with this title??

Thanks

Advertisement

Search the stores for it?

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have a tentative title in mind. Is there a way to check whether there are any game available in the IOS or google play stores

Moving to the Business/Law forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If that's all you want to do, just search the stores - a title exactly matching your search query should be very high of not first in the search results. This will also tell you if there are any games or apps with very similar names.

I would suggest at minimum also putting the name into Google and seeing what turns up, and seeing if the web address(es) you want are available.

However, if you're going in to business you might also want to conduct a trademark search, and consider register ing any relevant trademarks yourself. You would want to speak to a lawyer (which you should be doing anyway if you intend to do business) about this.

- Jason Astle-Adams

i did a search in the google playstore /ios store as you guys suggested. It looks there is one app with that name and couple of more apps where they just added a tail to that name. My question is since some app is already with that name, I can't use the same name??

If that so, can i tweak it a little bit or add some tail to it and use it???

You probably don't want to use the name.

Firstly because it could land you in trouble if one of the existing apps decides to enforce trademark against you.

Secondly, it'll hurt your marketing.

I'd look for a different name that's unique if possible.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Okay. I am giving an example as attached. Look at it. There is app called "istock". But there are many apps with the same name but in the end they added some thing saying "istock- inventory made easy" like that.

My questions are

(1) How can i check if there is already a trademark on the name that I have in my mind??

(2) After making sure that there is no trademark, can I go ahead and add a tail or a prefix to use the same name for my app (frankly I can't think any other name which can be so apt as this one)

(1) How can i check if there is already a trademark on the name that I have in my mind??

if its already in use, then that already have "prior use" - whether they bothered to register it or not. don't think they even have to put a TM after it...

it can get complicated. better read up on the subject, or get a patent attorney.

http://mirskylegal.com/2010/11/15/trademark-registration-trumps-prior-use-not-entirely/

http://legalteamusa.net/tacticalip/2013/04/01/trademark-law-first-to-use-v-first-to-file/

of course all of this assumes you have the cubic dollars to defend against trademark infringement lawsuits and can afford to sue infringers. its usually more economical to just come up with a unique name that's never been used. and get on with life - and avoid the "name wars" entirely.

the case from a marketing standpoint is even stronger. you want to build brand recognition. so why on earth would you ever name you app what amounts to "yet another istock app" ?

real estate is about location, location, location.

and marketing is about uniqueness, uniqueness, uniqueness.

(2) After making sure that there is no trademark, can I go ahead and add a tail or a prefix to use the same name for my app (frankly I can't think any other name which can be so apt as this one)

you can do anything you want. whether its a good idea....

aptness is nice, if you're first to market. otherwise... You're probably SOL. Name's taken. and probably not worth going to war over. Just think of a different name.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement