🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

sometimes I just don't know where to start

Started by
2 comments, last by da_cobra 22 years, 7 months ago
my problem is very simple I think when I''m thinking about creating a simple game I just don''t know where to start by example : snake-game => use an 2D-array? if so how? 2D-platform => create a walking sprite....then what??? I understand that you first have to think about on how you''re gonna make your game, and it''s also right there I get stuck most of the time any tips/suggestion? thanx in advance
Advertisement
What I every time do when I want to create a new game I think up the idea. Let''s say I wanna make snake. I first start out with some features I want to include in the game. If the snake hits the wall it''s head most explode. If the snake is about to eat a thingie you must see his mouth go open and see the thingie sit in the snake. When the snake as eaten 25 thingies it most go to the other level with more difficulties and a higher speed. Ok, now I have put in very simple what I want to include in the game, so the next point is: How am I going to implement it. We use an 2D array to represent the level and a struct for the information. In the struct we put the sort of location(X = wall, * = candy, S is snake, H = Head and T = Tail), the previous location and the next location. This location is useless when representing a candy or wall but very well for the snake because you can walk over the snake for his Head to Tail and vice versa.

Is this where yuo were looking for? Rembember: I never created snake so I might sound a bit weird, my approach.

Sand Hawk

-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
quote: Original post by da_cobra
my problem is very simple I think
when I''m thinking about creating a simple game I just don''t know where to start
by example : snake-game => use an 2D-array? if so how?
2D-platform => create a walking sprite....then what???

I understand that you first have to think about on how you''re gonna make your game, and it''s also right there I get stuck most of the time

any tips/suggestion?

thanx in advance

There are many ways to do that , this is how I usually do it.

Get pen and paper. Draw simple picture about how the screen should look, or two or three.
I maybe write down what it should do.

Then I think what are the big functions , like starting and setup, user input, moving enemies and what ever they be.
After that I make thise big function smaller ones.

When I think I know how this program should be I make first code and see how it works.

all these things help me alot thanx

any1 has any other ideas/suggestions?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement