🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mobile game publishing advice?

Started by
6 comments, last by Francisco Lopez 7 years ago

I have developed a game for android called Dark Dash: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magma.darkdash&hl=en_GB

I am finding a lot of difficulty raising publicity and awareness of it. I have a twitter account and an fb page (https://www.facebook.com/MagmaApps/) but I am still not gaining much attraction. With a budget of £100 im going to pour it into facebook ads campaigns as apparently they are very successful. I was wondering if this is the right thing to do. Is it?

My second question is that I have a friend who has an apple developer account and is able to publish to iOS. It will take a lot of effort to put it into iOS for me and he will want some ownership and im not too keen. Is publishing to iOS a real perk or will I generate good revenue just sticking to android and working there? as I have never really delved into iphone dev. Thanks

Advertisement

Just _having_ a Facebook and Twitter presence isn't enough to magically get people to find your game. What are you doing to drive traffic there, so people see your game? Other than your plan to spend a bunch of money on ads, of course.

Just _having_ a Facebook and Twitter presence isn't enough to magically get people to find your game. What are you doing to drive traffic there, so people see your game? Other than your plan to spend a bunch of money on ads, of course.

I have commented and contacted several other app reviewers and developers on social media to advertise my app for free by a sharing here or there. I know its not much, Im new to this. I use a lot of hashtags and follow a lot of people interested in the category on twitter.

Most people don't read mobile game reviews or search through the app stores; they donwload the apps on the front page of the stores and occasionally click on an advertisement.

I don't do mobile myself, but the successful mobile devs that I know do say that you need both iPhone and Android, and that you basically need Google and Apple to feature your game on the front page of their stores in order to get any downloads. To do that, you've got to make something polished enough that they'll pay attention, and release at a time when there's not a better app to be featured. The alternative strategy is to publish a new game every week, flooding the market with apps and hoping one gets lucky...

Most people don't read mobile game reviews or search through the app stores; they donwload the apps on the front page of the stores and occasionally click on an advertisement.

I don't do mobile myself, but the successful mobile devs that I know do say that you need both iPhone and Android, and that you basically need Google and Apple to feature your game on the front page of their stores in order to get any downloads. To do that, you've got to make something polished enough that they'll pay attention, and release at a time when there's not a better app to be featured. The alternative strategy is to publish a new game every week, flooding the market with apps and hoping one gets lucky...

Sadly features don't really even guarantee your game will get traction. Yes, you will get downloads but unless the game has some kind of hook those users won't stick around for very long.

£100 on Facebook ads won't get you much of anything. Anymore it isn't uncommon to start spending several dollars per user if you are in a popular genre. You should try and target iOS if possible. Android generally has many more people who will play your game but iOS users tend to want to spend more. If you are really serious about this then you should just try and pick up a used Mac mini. As no matter what language your game is in you are going to need some dev time to get it fully working for iOS.

The days of the quick Flappy Bird flash in the pan success are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Multi million dollar advertising campaigns (ie Mobile Strike) are unfortunately starting to become a common thing.

Instead of wasting the £100 on Facebook, build up a good community of followers on Instagram and Twitter smartly and then build a good buzz for your game with good GIF's and images which excite people.

This will get people talking about your game and will then get people waiting for the game release which will turn into traffic and would all be free. Whether they stay on the game and the retention rate is high, would be down to the game quality.

If you're planning on your game being a massive success on the mobile platforms, you would need to start a relationship with Apple and Google which will raise the chances of your game being featured on their stores front screens,

In addition to the great advice above, I'd consider changing your studio name from Magma Apps. Don't get me wrong, it's a great name. It's just that there's already a fairly established company that goes by Magma Mobile. Can't help your ASO.

Game looks rad by the way!

Chris Lefebvre | Publisher Relations LinkedIn | skype: christopher_jam Check Out Appodeal! ----------------------------------------------------------------

You should put your efforts on ASO, I think its the best way to gain installs organically.

I reccomend you to visit the ASO Stack, a incredible ASO resource >>> https://asostack.com/the-app-store-optimization-stack-7443936050c5

... and this usefull article with the main errors you should avoid >>> https://thetool.io/2017/16-aso-mistakes

Good Luck with Dark Dash

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement