🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Value for a Team as Producer

Started by
11 comments, last by GeneralJist 7 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the answers everyone and apologies for the thread having a misnamed subject line. I wrote the subject line while trying to work out how to articulate my post and forgot to edit it once I had written the post.

So to summarise: to develop my skills and portfolio I should focus on how to facilitate conversation between my team members, developing a network, communication and then general project management skills such as time management, change management, etc.?

I've had (admittedly limited) experience as a producer in a couple of student projects so at a basic level I've been able to start developing most of those skills, but I was wondering what would be required in industry and what to develop further. It's good to see that a lot of the skills I've started developing already are the ones required and are the ones I need to carry into industry. One of the main things I was aware of needing to develop personally but haven't developed enough is a broad enough knowledge of each discipline so that can be one of my primary focuses to develop and learn. That and how to lead a project more as feedback from my last group project highlighted that I was too passive and while I was a facilitator, I was not really enough of a leader.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement

feedback from my last group project highlighted that I was too passive and while I was a facilitator, I was not a leader.

In games, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Many industries have a role like 'project manager' where that person basically owns the project, both in terms of setting a direction for it and in terms of scheduling its implementation and delivery. However, in games, the person who owns the project is rarely the person who schedules and delivers it. It varies from studio to studio but the project might be owned by a Lead Designer, or a Creative Director, or similar. In such situations, the producer doesn't own the project, but they work with the designer/director/whatever to create and follow a schedule that will see the vision delivered. Actual 'leadership' is not necessary (although some degree of assertiveness will be, especially with department heads).

^

It really depends on the structure and type of project.

I'm in leadership, but that is not always the case.

It also depends on if you want to be a line producer or publishing producer.

Learn by doing.

There is a difference between leadership and management.

Projects need leaders and managers at all levels, to facilitate action.

If that comment was made about you, then that would suggest, the team needed leadership, and you did not provide that enough.

Your job of anticipating needs doesn't stop at resources and personnel, it extends to all aspects of the project, and to motivation particularly.

School teaches you that if you can make a list, and achieve those things, you'll do fine.(that rarely applies outside of school) I get the feeling your looking at this job as a set of check boxes. That may sometimes work for other jobs, but not production.

It's too varied, complex, and dynamic a discipline.

Studying say, "change management" is not the same as the experience of managing change in an organization.

I hope you do understand, we're doing a huge thing for you, by synthesizing our experience into advice that can be fit into a list.

Throughout my career, I somehow find myself consistently ordering chaos, particularly when it comes to developing a job description.

Being a producer requires you to develop and refine your job description every day, your meant to be the order that counterbalances the artistic chaos.

That is naturally different for every situation.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement