🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

what % cut to offer for PR work?

Started by
12 comments, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 5 months ago

I will be deleting this thread later (to give time for people to see why) as it will be quite a frustrating search result for someone who is actually interested in what the topic title suggests :)

Please don't. People have taken the time to write well thought out responses, and although it's unlikely future readers finding the topic will have your exact situation the advise IS actually on point for the title and may be of benefit to others.

I am not completely against leaving it here if you think it will really be useful but the advice is mainly geared towards don't hire friends, hiring friends is bad, what you're offering won't help anyone - which I completely understand and even agree with but it is VERY situational advice and at no point is the crux of the topic (ie, what on average when putting a team together who have, rightly or wrongly, agreed to work for royalties is the normal amount to expect to pay for part time PR services) which could be very frustrating. In my case I wanted to know so I had a guide line in my head and other people may wish to know for any number of reasons and I'm not sure this is an entirely useful thread to anyone except maybe me.

Advertisement
Perhaps nobody will ever get any useful information from it in the future. But maybe somebody will. It's hard to say, and as a policy we generally err on the side of preserving content and discussion and the effort people put into the thread, so it seems very unlikely we'd permit the thread to be deleted.

I will be deleting this thread later

Locking the thread to prevent that.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

OP contacted me and wrote:

It's absolutely fine that the thread was locked but a real shame I was just trying to post my
final response as you did so! :) I do not know if its possible for you to append to the end of
the thread, or if you'd be willing to edit your final post to say the "OP wished to add" or if
you'd rather leave, which is fine! But as I have literally just sat here and typed it out I
figured I would ask. It would of read:

I have to admit I was a little taken aback, I wasn't aware I needed permission - but now I come
to sit at a PC I do not actually see a delete button - fair enough.

I do appreciate that people have taken time to post (no, I really do) - but the actual question
posed was thoroughly avoided and instead the details that caused me to ask were latched on to
(and, at least in my mind, still completely misinterpreted as attempts to employ, hire, make
promises of X money, etc etc an individual when all I was trying to obtain was a rough guide of
what someone in a legitimate role would expect as a rough guide for me personally) and if I am
honest I am slightly concerned that I come across badly overall in this thread which is why, as
I could see no actual use for people searching my question coming from it either, I was leaning
towards removing the thread.

But two people have asked me not to, it seems I can't anyway and I don't want people to think
worse of me! :D So it's fine. I just get an itchy feeling when I feel I'm being misunderstood I
guess. I'll live :) I am thankful for the time people took to reply so - thanks!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement