🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Colonization remake - gameplay of slavery

Started by
22 comments, last by Norman Barrows 7 years, 8 months ago

Thanks frob some good embryos for mechanics there!

@hypester

I understand your point but do you think this about every subject? Most strategy games are about war. But almost all of them completely ignore the themes of refugees, rape, killing of children, ethnic cleansing, some sort of enslavement etc, yet these are part of most wars. Does it mean you cannot make games about wars?

I think a game may include historical slavery, use mechanics and some historical elements of it, while still keeping it fairly respectful. But again this thread is not about that. Also, I'm not making a commercial product, and not one for the American market only, nor about American history specifically (which everyone seems to assume).

There are games that completely ignore these issues, but you don't want to completely ignore slavery, do you? So how is that relevant? This kind of contradiction is really quite revealing, as is your insistence that your take is fairly respectful while avoiding the lists of reasons it is not. But I can understand the aversion. It's a heavy subject, and it's much easier to just stick to your assumptions than to explore how games that put players in the roles of rapists and child killers do so, and how that affects the overall game.

In regards to the specific mechanics, I think you may be on the right track. I suspect you'll need to make larger colonies, who by nature have lower slave populations, somehow in conflict with the mid-game colonies with large slave populations, but that's also getting into the Civil War, in a way, which I suspect is another thing you'd like to avoid.

Advertisement

@hypester

Your insinuation that I'm either lazy or cowardly is not constructive. Also, I think making a game about war but totally skip all the subjects I listed is on par with (or even more ahistorical than) making a game about colonialism and trade and include some elements of slavery but not model all the details of it.

Again, this isnt a game about US or US history specifically. Stop assuming it is. Dutch colonies had no grand civil war for example. Neither did the portugeese (yes you can play with portugal as your sponsor as well).

Thank you for your input on gameplay:)

Even when indentured servitude of whites was done, they had a limited term and the workers then were lost to other activities.

That's how the Barrows got to America. In 1620, My "x number of greats" grandfather John Barrow (no s yet) booked third class passage on the Mayflower, paid for by indentured servitude as a farm worker for 12 years for a landowner in the colonies.

So indentured servitude would be a third type of labor force available, beyond immigrants and slaves.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Slave units should produce less than other workers. volunteer indentured servants should not have this penalty, only slaves, criminals, and others who are there against their will.

The non-slave population of a colony should limit the max slave population possible in that colony. about 2/3rds free 1/3rd slave seem to be the historical max ratio. I can't think of any society that had a higher ratio of slaves, except sparta and the helots - which approached 10 to 1 as i recall, IE 10 helots for every spartan.

Slaves should have no effect on chance to revolt against the Crown.

Other effects mentioned previously in this thread such as relations between slave and non-slave colonies should apply.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement