🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Creating a Game For Yourself Rather than Others

Started by
12 comments, last by d000hg 7 years, 8 months ago

I basically am making my game for myself. Which when you put it that way sounds kind of ridiculous but really it's more that I'm building an assortment of features that I had wanted to take a stab at. I tell myself that in theory I should be able to pull out bits of code and reuse it if I were so inclined to make games for other people. But if I were to make games for others, the right thing to do would probably be to scrap it all and look into using some engine or other.

For the RPG project I've been working on for several years now I have decided:

• No mini-map. Probably no map at all unless I'm inclined to include cartography as a game element like some NPC produces maps for a living or just happened to create what he could while exploring part of some cave or such area. I think somebody around here mentioned such an idea and I thought it was pretty cool but it's not on my list of stuff to get into.
  • No fast travel through teleportation.
  • No concern about things being tedious for anyone but myself.
  • No concern over level of fun since the fun for me was supposed to be in making the game anyways.
Advertisement

combat zone was an arcade version of armies of steel, basically just a way to get another game out of the code. armies of steel was the game i wanted to play - and built first. combat racer was built using the cybertank code, but was a game i wanted to make, not "just another game i can churn out with this existing code base". dominoker was made for a client. otherwise i would have probably never made that type of game. so combat zone and dominoker are the only two i didn't build primarily for me to play.

Please use the shift key to make the first letter of sentences uppercase. It makes your statements far easier to read.

Please use the shift key to make the first letter of sentences uppercase. It makes your statements far easier to read.

Sorry about that! <g>.

I've always been lazy when it comes to punctuation. When its just one line of text, its not that bad, but yes, you're right - a small bock of text does tend to blur together.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I dislike games with any form of narrative - or rather I dislike the narrative and ignore it. I also like games where you don't have to progress by completing missions and unlocking things, I like to just jump into the action and jump out when I'm bored. The fun is in the playing, not in winning or losing - so while I'd love to make an RTS one day I might like one that is more like SimCity where you are constantly developing and not just trying to end the level.

So I like games like soccer, driving games, deathmatch arena.

It turns out most people don't share these views...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement