🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

First Game

Started by
2 comments, last by Jeff D 22 years, 7 months ago
Ive been programming C++ for a while and now I''m gonna start making my first game, with graphics. I want to try and make a game called Omega race. I remembered playing that on the C64 years ago. Do you think this is a good game to start or should I start with Tetris like most pple do? Thx, Jeff Desrosiers
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
Advertisement
Depends. Is this game you are making going to be an advanced game? If so, I suggest you learn an API like OpenGL or DirectX.

For OpenGL:

www.opengl.org

and take nehe''s tutorials at nehe.gamedev.net

Or buy Kevin and Daves book called "OpenGL Game Programming."

I don''t know about DirectX, but you should get the DX Dev Kit off of MS''s site, and NeHe''s tutorials + "OpenGL Game Programming" will teach you some of Direct X.

Its good to start out with something text based if you have''nt already, and then move up to Pong and Tetris. Some people set a big goal for themselves and work their way up.

Good Luck.

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
The game is a very old game which was on the Commodore 64 I hope you didn''t think I meant the nintendo. Its a 2d little shoot em up game. If you wish to see the game goto google.com type omega Race and there is a Java playable on it.

If Im not mistaken the game was created 20 years ago.

Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
quote: Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
Depends. Is this game you are making going to be an advanced game? If so, I suggest you learn an API like OpenGL or DirectX.

Do you read posts before you reply to them? He wants to make a clone of a Commodore 64 game and you bring up your favorite topics - OpenGL and DirectX.

Other than that (ie, ignoring the entire graphics APi thing), follow his advice. If you''ve written basic games and know the form of main loops, input acquisition and so forth, go for it. if not, try a trivia-type game (it teaches you the fundamentals while ignoring issues like timing).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement