🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help Choosing College Path

Started by
3 comments, last by Darmani 7 years, 8 months ago

First off, sorry if this is posted in the wrong sub.

Recently graduated from bus admin. I'm now at a new college taking a game development program. The first semester has a wide variety of introductory classes, including programming, 3D modeling, visual effects, etcetera. We are expected to choose a concentration by second semester.

The concentrations and the classes offered can be found here (scroll down until you see 'Concentration Options':

http://www.nscc.ca/learning_programs/programs/PlanDescr.aspx?prg=GAME&pln=GD-NOCONC

If anyone with an established career in game dev has a few minutes to read the course descriptions for each concentration and give me advice on which one sounds most employable/desirable in the field, it would be greatly appreciated. A typical response would be, 'do whichever one you enjoy most in first semester,' but I love every class, so it's difficult to narrow the decision down that way.

Thanks

Advertisement

advice on which one sounds most employable/desirable in the field, it would be greatly appreciated. A
typical response would be, 'do whichever one you enjoy most in first semester,' but I love every class, so
it's difficult to narrow the decision down that way.

Going with "most employable" is a fool's errand. But programmers are more in demand than anyone else. I just
hope you really really enjoy programming.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

'Generalist Concentration' is a bit of an oxymoron and doesn't focus purely on programming. The modules look more to do with Design then anything else.

The other two modules are self explanatory.

To answer your question, arguably the 3D artist option is the most 'employable' out of the three listed as a team is more likely to have more artists then VFX artists and designers. Whether you would enjoy it or not is another question altogether.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Well, it's not just do what you like, but do what your good at.

Which discipline are you also told by others your good at?

The issue with trying to pick by which is most employable, is that markets change. Especially in the games and tech industries an new tech comes online, and older tech becomes obsolete.

How will you know that if right now, lets say, artists are in demand, that they will still b n demand 2 years from now when the program is done?

You don't.

If you do good work with good people, that will help you find the right path.

Alternatively, from my experience, Good reliable animators are the hardest to find.

For some reason they seem to be the most eclectic of all the game dev fields.

IDK why. Maybe since it's a skill that is more bound to reality than any other artist.

That's my advice.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

In the 1960s, several companies asked a famed computer science educator that she should teach her students more JCL. JCL is currently exactly as popular as you think it is.

Having solid fundamentals and a good network is more important and lasting that marketing yourself to any specific perceived niche, especially if you're young. Spare yourself the worry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement