🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do you provide mobile app to press before release?

Started by
1 comment, last by kcorpier 7 years, 10 months ago

This is something that is very confusing to me. I have often heard that you should start your marketing early and that it is good to contact press etc about a review of the game a while before the release of the game (2-3 weeks maybe) so if they want to write a review they could publish it on the same day you release. But how do you provide a review copy of the game for iOS and Android?

On Steam it is very easy, you can just create press keys that you then send out and the reviewers and press can access the game with the code before official release as if it was any other game. But there is nothing like this on iOS and Android?

On Android I guess one option would be to provide an apk of the game, but that is kind of a pain to install and I doubt everyone even know how to install a stand alone apk on the device.

On iOS it seems even worse? If I want to test my app before release I need to install provisional profile on my devices, and I think I also need to add those devices to my developer portal. So you can't just provide a file there I think.. and I don't think many press people would go through all those steps to try out the game.

So how to do this, and what do other developer and you do to tackle this? Is there even a way?

Advertisement

With iOS you can probably use TestFlight.

With Android, I always just handed out the .apk. Anyone who is regularly reviewing apps will probably not be afraid of a little bit of tinkering to get a pre-release copy to work.

For Android, I know they have the Beta and Alpha system to allow people access to your build, but it is kind of a pain in the arse. I still prefer the .apk files.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement