🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting Something In The Future

Started by
14 comments, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 10 months ago

Hi, i worked on this game engine & edittor, compared to new games it looks to old,

i wanto work at games in the future, currently i,m to busy with building hardware,

i learned better/faster coding from building hardware then when i started this engine, so i wanto start again some day.

Windows is not Always compatible, + in the future they want a something like apple store : windows store,

does this means you can only install stuff from the windows store ?, how can i start in the game industry then ?

Or can i start developping for Playstation just like that ? ( if they have better understandable examples that would be great )

Normally you make a game for PC, then you can show it to Nintendo or Sony if they like it, how else do you start ?

How will the future be for starting developpers ?, are they closing the door, or forcing you into something else then C++ ?

Please tell me if i,m wrong or just paranoid.

Thing is big companys dominating this industry, they like to keep you out, its about big money so its logical,

it feels like you cannot get in without them, i like to start something to see where it ends without needing anyone.

Your reactions please, tell me where i,m wrong ?

Thanks for reading

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

Advertisement
Your game probably looks old compared to a professional one because the professionals have dozens of coders and artists working on it. That's not surprising.

We don't have a crystal ball to know how Windows will handle an app store in future. It's probably best not to worry about it - games companies are likely to fight that battle on our behalf if necessary.

Big companies don't really care about keeping you out, they just care about what is best for them. Luckily some of those companies benefit from people like you being able to develop games in future - Valve, for example.

1. i wanto work at games in the future,
2. windows store, does this means you can only install stuff from the windows store ?,
3. how can i start in the game industry then ?
4. Or can i start developping for Playstation just like that ?
5. Normally you make a game for PC, then you can show it to Nintendo or Sony if they like it, how else do you start ?
6. How will the future be for starting developpers ?,

Hi, smoker.
1. There are two ways to do that - get a job at a game company, or work independently. Which are you talking about? If you get a job at a game company, then none of your other questions matter because your employer worries about all that, and tells you what they want you to do. If you want to make your own games, say so in your reply. This forum (Game Industry Job Advice) is about the first option (getting a job at a game company). If you want to make your own indie games, then this conversation can move to the Business And Law forum. Because making your own games is going into business for yourself.

2. Not sure what you're trying to find out with this question. If a game is to be sold through the Windows store, then you have to make the game in compliance with the store's requirements, and the store keeps some of the money earned by the game. You're a publisher if you put your own game on the Windows store.

3. See number 1 above. Do you want a job, or do you want to start a business?

4. Sony does have certain ways independent developers can create Playstation games. You have to meet Sony's requirements. Find Sony's Playstation developers website for more information.

5. When you say "show it to Nintendo or Sony," what do you mean? To get money to develop and publish the game? Or to let you publish the game on their network? Can you be more specific?

6. It'll be no less complicated than it is now. Probably.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi, thanks for the reply`s.

@ Tom Sloper :

1 & 3 : Yes i like to make independent games, to see what i can reach, maybe i will not finish something ever, i like making games and improve my skills,

i dont need any money for that, and i dont wanto invest any money, just a new PC wich can handle the graphics nothing more,

if you can develop on a playstation, i dont need to buy a game PC then, even better, i already have a PS3, i dont mind buying a PS4 one day.

2 : i wanto give it for free to start with, no contracts or licenses, to see if it works, if this windows store becomes the only thing ( no more CD install / other site downloads ) it would be problematic.

5 : What i mean by showing, i mean you have to be able to show something else they wont even react, if windows becoming a closed thing in the future, then i wont be able to show anything,

PC programming is free and dont need some license right now.

4 : I will take a look at the sony webpage if i can find it, thanks.

6 : Now it is not complicated, for windows XP ( exept for install windows 7 offline ),

winXP i have on CD and DirectX 9.0 also on CD, vc pro also on CD.

I not want to share my codes with internet, so i keep my PC Always offline.

No need for registrations and updates, + online checks.

I dont wanto register any company, just make some games.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

5. Still unclear. Why do you need a company to react. And people don't need Microsoft's permission to make a PC game.

7. If you make any money, you'll have to pay taxes. You don't necessarily have to register a company, depending on where you live,
but you are in business.

Moving this to the Business/Law forum (it doesn't belong in Game Industry Job Advice).

I dont need them to react if i can start working on theyr console without any of theyr reaction.

S T O P C R I M E !

Smoker, if you want to develop on a console, first you need to be a registered developer. To do that, you don't show them a game. Go on their
developer websites to learn more. Typically, the main requirement is experience having worked on games before, business credentials, chops.
Once you're a registered developer and you want to self-publish on their download networks, you have to get your game approved. There's a process
called "concept approval," and after you pass that you can make the game. Then, when the game is finished, you have to submit it for final approval
in a process called "certification testing" (your game must meet their technical requirements checklist, or TRCs).

Yes i worked on games before, my own games,

if i cannot proof it, anyone could say that.

So i need a game to show first.

S T O P C R I M E !

One solo game isn't likely going to be enough to get you a development license for a major platform.
Focus on PC for now, and build a body of work.

Suppose baddest things happen, and windows becomes windows-store only, no more game programming for windows,

then how would you start ?, that it exactly my point, you need windows to get into the industry.

S T O P C R I M E !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement