🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Not Sure Where To Start

Started by
4 comments, last by ItamarReiner 7 years, 11 months ago
I'm an average joe who's spent many years on Role playing games. I am always coming up with ideas for stories, powers/abilities and so forth for video games. I'm not sure where I could begin on getting my foot in the door for this type of video game design.Can anyone help me out?
Advertisement
I'm an average joe

The "I'm an average joe" mentality won't help you if you want to get your foot in any door. You kind of need to be quite stubborn in order to not give up after only a month/year.

Every average joe has a multi-billion-dollar idea and has the perfect game in mind, the only little detail that stops them is that they kind of need to actually make that game.

If you want to develop something I would start by going through some tutorials, for example: http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php

It is very important that you do not start making 3D stuff before you've made a decent finished 2D game!

I'm not sure where I could begin on getting my foot in the door for this type of video game design.

I see a few ways to interpret the question.

If you're asking about the role generally, you might find this a useful starting point.

If you're asking about it as a day job, start with reading these.

If you're asking abut building your specific game idea, read those same items in the link above with particular emphasis on numbers 1, 11, 13, 14, 31, then read the others.

Quite simply, ideas are the easiest part of the equation. Just start learning something and maybe some day you will complete something. That's where to start.

Can you be more precise about your background (previous knowledge or experience) beyond playing the kind of games you want to make?

Do you have any prior coding knowledge (not necessarily game or graphics related)? Or experience with 2d or 3d art?

Reading the forum FAQ and the rest of the stickies would be a good place to start (basically go to Tom Sloper's website and take the time to go through everything.)

You aren't the first person to struggle with where to start. If you have more specific questions, feel free to come back and ask, we might all learn something new.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement