🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Stackoverflow And Money

Started by
33 comments, last by Elegarth 7 years, 10 months ago

I remember reading that in some eastern European country, Bulgaria or Romania, I cannot remember, that wages for software developers were shockingly low, even compared to the wages of other professions in the country, so a lot of developers would move to other countries.

EDIT: And that tool roughly matches my current salary at my experience level. (with whatever the default skill level was)

Afaik, Romania and Bulgaria has lowest wages in EU , wouldn't be surprised if developer wages were as well.

And this tool suggest $86K for zero year experience and zero skill so better than McDonald's :)

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Advertisement

It's right in your public user profile. I literally just clicked on your username.

No... moderators see fields that users have set as private. Try logging out and clicking that link again.

This is a solid pay, but you can make 2-3 times of this in the US as programmer (base salary, bonus and stocks).

It's right in your public user profile. I literally just clicked on your username.

No... moderators see fields that users have set as private. Try logging out and clicking that link again.

Oops. Sorry. I thought that was a public field. Either way, removed as soon as it was requested, and sorry again.

This is a solid pay, but you can make 2-3 times of this in the US as programmer (base salary, bonus and stocks).

Oh good point, I was only comparing salary, not anything else, like bonus, benefits and stock.

Not exactly on topic but very close, anyone else surprised that the "skill" participates so little to the salary in a company like that that recognize the difference in productivy within devs is major? (from 0 to a full 5 it's a 50% raise at 10 years experience)

As for Something more on topic salaries can also look higher than they are if you view them within the mind of another country (for exemple a salary could be much higher because there are less taxes on it, but you pay more money through lack of health coverage or education that you actually need to pay for).

Exemple for France vs USA, my net salary in France is much much much lower than the company pays for me, a lot of it gots to the state, but if i have any health issue for any reason i pay 0 for ER, then if anything is wrong i still pay 0 for any surgery and then i pay, you guessed it , 0 for anything past that except for a small amount (i think 10 euros or similar?) for the room / food per day. I also don't have to save up to get my (hypotetical, i still need to find a willing girl!) kids through college as it's free and the best superior studies are free (some even pay their students while they study).

Not saying one is necessarily better than the other, just saying a straight $ comparison between countries may not be the best way to see it because you may be getting significantly less money but as much value.

Oops. Sorry. I thought that was a public field. Either way, removed as soon as it was requested, and sorry again.

@frob it was public, you did nothing wrong.

PS : BG = Country Code of Bulgaria

Yeah, I can live with that :)

Not so enormous for me, but then I live and work in Switzerland, which is the country with most probably the highest cost of living in the world (besides cities like London).

On the other hand, if you factor in the totally missing social security system in the US, and the crap work contracts you get there, a higher income is actually just making up for the difference in benefits.

(like 2 weeks of notice if you are fired... its 3 months here in switzerland most of the time, depending on your contract and the amount of years working for a company, could easely be around 6 months, sometimes those are 6 months paid without having to work at your old company anymore, or at least your are allowed to look for a new job on the old companys payroll).

Now, what is skill level 2 exactly? Because I have seen a quite large discrepancy in what a developer, and senior developer can expect being paid.... Senior can get 25-30% more without a problem.

Then this seems to be a national average. Keep in mind that in some areas developers might make a ridicolous amount of money, driving the national average up. Just tick the checkbox and you see what I mean. The fact that the biggest employers for software devs tend to be located in these areas, thus they employ a quite large portion of the develoeprs in the US, of course skews the picture even more.

I would bet if you find a job with a small software development house in Utah or Texas, you can slash at least 25% off that salary, if not more.

EDIT: Oh, do I read "London" in the checkbox description? Is this meant to be a worldwide average? Then I have to question what countries besides the US and UK are included, because I know there are a ton of developers in India and the CIS Region, and they have WAY lower incomes there.

It is fairly accurate for a London developer working in "The City" or Canary Wharf but a little high for the majority of developers who work outside of finance.

Agreed, that's way too high for London. London does pay more compared to the rest of the UK but a typical web developer with 3yrs experience does not get £90k for working in London. I've seen under half that for cool startups and never above 2/3rds that for someone with only 3 years experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement