🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unity Or Ue4 To Use As A Show Reel For My Portfolio

Started by
11 comments, last by frob 7 years, 11 months ago

I know from the experience of watching my father working in engineering well into hes late 40s before pursuing hes passion and starting up hes own business building and selling custom motor bikes and being a lot happier when he did that.

That's my problem after fours years of hard work panic attacks when it comes to assignment deadlines and getting past those( closed booked programming exams always the hardest part of Uni)seeing other students ripping up their exam papers and walking out due to the pressure, watching my friends who did not choose to go to uni, going out all the time and having more fun/money whilst I'm stuck in my room studying head in my programming books(my favorite book is still the first one i bought second hand from amazon "C++ A Beginner's Guide by Herbert Schildt" a fantastic book, whilst working shitty part-time jobs for little money then at the end knowing I've got to pay off my student dept over the next 15 years.

I kinda thought I'd be more elated that i passed my degree but maybe I'm just being cynical and that's why i want to make sure i get the role I truly are passionate about straight away....

Advertisement

I kinda thought I'd be more elated that i passed my degree but maybe I'm just being cynical and that's why i want to make sure i get the role I truly are passionate about straight away....

Understandable. "The impatience of youth." I was there myself. I know you don't want to hear this, but:
give it time. You'll get there. Just gotta pay your dues first.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Passions change over life.

For reading material, I strongly suggest the book "What Color Is Your Parachute?" which has been updated every year for many decades. Pick up any recent edition, you can find them in a library or used book store if you'd rather not buy them.

Somewhere in the book (it varies by edition) is an exercise called the "Flower Diagram". It is meant to be an introspective exercise where you evaluate your most passionate skills, your most passionate work environments, your most passionate people-groups, and other areas of life where you have passion. Doing the exercise well typically reveals that a person has unexpected areas of passion, sometimes broader than expected, sometimes pointing in a different area than expected.

I personally like to do the flower diagram about every five years, and compare it to what I had in the past. I discover my passions drift. While some have remained constant, such as my love of software, love of creative fields, others have drifted between different groups, different responsibilities, different geographies.

Consider working through it and learning more about your own passions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement