🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using Military Designs

Started by
9 comments, last by kiki443 7 years, 11 months ago

HI

me again

I have came to idea to make military movie and of course I need to use military tanks or navy ships or airplanes like F-22.

my question is if I make the movie about that can US army sue me for using military designs or not, or I need some sort of a permission from them?

Advertisement
Same link I posted before: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/faq61.htm
You don't have to worry about armed forces. You need to worry about the manufacturers.
See answers 2-1/4, 2-1/2, and 2-3/4 in that FAQ.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnewsroom/intellectual-property/b/copyright-trademark-law-blog/archive/2012/01/25/ea-s-video-game-quot-battlefield-3-quot-turning-into-quot-battlefield-trademark-quot-as-video-game-manufacturer-sues-to-adjudicate-non-infringement-of-military-helicopters.aspx?Redirected=true

Don't use real world things unless you pay for the license.

so nothing without license.

But is there anything I can use without licence or I need to be a multi-billioner just to make one movie?

so nothing without license.

But is there anything I can use without licence or I need to be a multi-billioner just to make one movie?

Design custom helicopters and jets?

Game designers, movie makers, and so on need to get together and make a completely creative-commons archive of original and well-designed cars, guns, planes, etc... that everyone can use.

You don't need to be a multi-billionaire to consult an intellectual property law attorney and get answers in a real-time one-on-one conversation
for an hour.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Is this an issue for older military designs, like, a Sherman Tank, or Maus, or even older like a WWI plane like the Fokker?

Is this an issue for older military designs, like, a Sherman Tank, or Maus, or even older like a WWI plane like the Fokker?

For copyright law anything after 1922 is out of bounds, don't use it.

Trademarks are restricted as long as the company is using the name, with some trademarks dating back to the time trademarks were first introduced in law, and some have been in continuous use for hundreds of years.

As for those specific items, a few moments of research show it is absolutely an issue for both the Sherman Tank and Panzer Maus. For the Fokker planes it is only probably an issue.

The Sherman Tank is still in active use; expect to be taken down if you use it without permission. The older Panzer Maus tanks are not in active use but Krupp is now ThyssenKrupp which still apparently owns everything involved and makes money from licensing; again, expect to be taken down if you use it without permission. Fokker declared bankruptcy and sold their assets in 1996 but has since been reconstituted from sold-off parts. The current incarnation of the company probably still own the old IP rights. If you use their airplane designs you might be fine, but if you use the Fokker name expect to be taken down if you use the name without permission.

If you are making a game where you need historical accuracy you need permission and there is no way around that. A few years ago EA tried to test that theory by not licensing a few names, was taken to court, and ended up changing tactics and acquiring licenses anyway. I'm sure your legal fund is a lot smaller than EA's legal fund.

Make your game your own. Build your own style of box with a turret for a tank, your own style of box with wings for airplanes. Build your own game.

But if I want to make a historical movie about Roman Empire or something like that do I need to seek permission for something?

because I want to use swords and weapons or other equipment from that time.

Permission from who? The Roman Empire? I think you're pretty safe there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement