🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Non-english game design document

Started by
3 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 12 months ago

Hello devs!
I make a design document for one project and it’s gonna be very big. And there is one problem. I write it on my native (Russian) language cause, as you can see, my English is very poor… What if I want to offer this project to a game dev company in Europe or America? How’s possible that there would be russian mates who can translate document or it’s main idea part? Or is better to write document in english at least as how I write this answer? Or, maybe, there are other ways can be possible?
Thanks in advance for an answers.

P.S. Hope I choose right forum thread, if not, please move where it must be. ^^

Advertisement

This should probably be in the "business" forum, because it's not about your game's mechanics, but it's about how to break into the international market.

With that out of the way, I would advise you to get someone to translate it for you when you're ready to show it to a potential international partner. Your English is decent: you can communicate. However, the document you're making also needs to sell your idea to a potential partner. (Even if they don't pay you, the same principles apply)

You'll have a better chance of selling your idea when it's written well, and reads easily. A small forum post is fine, but reading through a multiple page document that's written poorly becomes difficult and annoying. And if you're trying to sell something, you really shouldn't annoy your potential customer.

Apart from that, I applaud you for trying. You speak more than one language. That's great!

I second what was said already. You need to get it translated into English if the people who'll work from
it speak and read English.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This should probably be in the "business" forum, because it's not about your game's mechanics, but it's about how to break into the international market.

I guess so at first but then think that design is better cause this question is about design document =D

I second what was said already. You need to get it translated into English if the people who'll work from
it speak and read English.

Indeed. I just didn't wanna to have business with russians farm and p2w making dev companies ><

I mostly also wanna know about how many rus speaking developers work in big companies who, maybe, can help with a start e.t.c

Apart from that, I applaud you for trying. You speak more than one language. That's great!

Heh, thanks! But it's not an achievment to just know international lang, especially so bad...

I mostly also wanna know about how many rus speaking developers work in big companies who, maybe, can help with a start e.t.c

If a team has a Russian programmer, designer, or artist, their management isn't going to pull them away from their usual work to translate a design doc. That's a lot of work with potentially no gain.

But also bear in mind that most developers don't want or care about speculative pitches from people outside the company. It'll go straight into the trash most of the time. And publishers, who provide the money, tend to either have their own games they want making, or expect to get a pitch from an existing developer who has a team capable of making the game. The games industry isn't like the book, film, or TV industries where there is a 'slush pile' of external that publishers consider financing. If you want a game making, you usually have to make it yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement