🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Posibility of getting to game industry?

Started by
35 comments, last by frob 7 years, 11 months ago
Portfolio in this industry is incredibly important. Portfolio means experience.

Does simple games count like very very simple?

I am following the beginners guide here on what games to make. I am able to make pong, breakout, snake, currently doing side scroller.

How do you define polished? Like has menus, no bugs? stuff like that?

I cant say if my game is fully polished. I got Menus and sounds. Not much about effects although Im plannig to add one.

Advertisement

2nd. As a person wanting to get into game industry, Is it right to aim for bigger game dev industry? like EA or SE?

Sure. One of the positive things about the game industry is that it's wonderfully neutral to your upbringing, background, educational background, etc. If you can do the job, you'll probably get the job. I feel a little bit like economic downturn in recent years has made it a bit harder than it used to be, but it's absolutely doable.

Will continuing c++ be a good asset for me? or Just use c# which a lot of inie game dev use?
C# is a great, productive language to get a lot of things done in. But C++ gets you the jobs, not C#.

3rd. What are the chances that at my mid 20s I can be able to get into game industry? How high would you think that be?
If you can learn enough to keep up, then you'll get a job. It'll be entry level for sure, and it will be challenging, but it's not an unrealistic goal.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
My share;
- it's definately possible
- it also depends on what you want to give for it, bigger studios are not everywhere. Depending on your private situation your opinions might be limited or you have to move (speaking from experience here, not much aaa studios in the netherlands unfortunately)
- go for it and see what happens, you'll never loose because in all cases you'll learn from your application/ try and, maybe you'll get the job

Like others mentioned, you have to be somewhat sure that is what you want, at a bigger studio meaning being a small part of a bigger thing (for me personally that's no issue).

Where are you from and what studios are within "reach"?

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Maybe take a look at some websites of various game companies and see what requirements they have for entry level positions, and make your plan accordingly.

I think that "polish" can be a lot of different things that gives your game a better presentation than just the game functionality alone.

Ive been programming for quite a while now but because of tough competition I wasnt able to get a programming jobs.

So, here is the thing.

Competition for jobs (especially entry level jobs) is insanely high in the game industry, because the labor market is flooded with entry level talent. So, lots of competition, low pay (relative to comparable jobs outside of games).

Outside of games, there are people getting really good jobs after doing programming bootcamps, or other non-degree programs, because the labor market is tilted in the other direction -- lots of jobs, not a lot of capable talent.

If you want to get in to professional programming, getting in via games is much much harder.

If you want to get in to professional programming, getting in via games is much much harder.

I think it depends on the location. This era, youre not competing against a certain people but youre competing globally. Here in the country I am working for, theres a lot of IT jobs but less on entry level. Theyre always looking for someone with intermediate exp. Even junior position requires you to have 2 years commercial exp. Another thing is here, they dont acknowledge freelancing as a real experience.

Im reminded of jim carrey statement which I heard once and stuck to my head

You can fail at what you dont love, so you might as well take a chance of doing what you love

I am in a similar predicament. I'm a senior software engineer at my current job which has nothing to do with games. I did however, get into game programming from the days of dos/mode 19 (thanks to Andre Lamothe's books) back in early 2000. On my own (and as part of my studies), I've written every thing from flight simulators to software 3D rasterizers. (I have a YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/faisalwho where I've begun showcasing my stuff, including my own 3D game engine + wip game, as well as pioneering new methods.)

I have zero industry experience but I try to stay ahead of the technologies merely as a hobbyist. Lately, I feel like if I was working in the industry, my throughput would be much, much greater as I would be doing something I do on my own anyways.

However, working my way up to my current position making the money I do, I can't afford to take a hit if I try to switch career paths. How can I, a senior programmer enter into this industry maintaining my title and compensation, when I possess the knowledge and work ethic, but lack the industry experience.

I feel my throughput at home rivals that of some senior architects i work with in my current field, only they have the title and the compensation, which I know would be easy for me to acquire if I switched industries.

I am in a similar predicament. I'm a senior software engineer at my current job which has nothing to do with games. I did however, get into game programming from the days of dos/mode 19 (thanks to Andre Lamothe's books) back in early 2000. On my own (and as part of my studies), I've written every thing from flight simulators to software 3D rasterizers. (I have a YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/faisalwho where I've begun showcasing my stuff, including my own 3D game engine + wip game, as well as pioneering new methods.)

May i know how did you start? What books did you read? What is your first game?

is a great, productive language to get a lot of things done in. But C++ gets you the jobs, not C#.

HI, just wanna know if this is kind of true? like for example the industry prefers c++ people?

How can I, a senior programmer enter into this industry maintaining my title and compensation, when I possess the knowledge and work ethic, but lack the industry experience.

You probably can't. The game industry wages are significantly depressed versus the software industry as a whole, because of the labor oversupply.

So even if you were brought straight across at a comparable seniority and title, compensation would very likely take a notable hit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement