🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

optional perma-death mode?

Started by
11 comments, last by alh420 8 years ago

i think if you enable changing it mid-game, maybe have it only as an option when out of combat, between chapters or "in town" or whatever. Pausing and changing in the middle of a heated combat situation seems to mess up the idea of making permadeath available in the first place.

Advertisement

Depending on your game mechanics you probably will have to rebalance everything to accelerate skill/ability advancement and obtaining weapons etc.. if that all starts over on a new 'life'.

Otherwise if you have extended ramping like that, most players (in that mode) may never reach the goodies you worked to create (or fight/handle the things the ramping advancement enables.

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

If it is an optional mode, and not what the entire game is centered around (like a rougelike), I don't think re-balance is necessarily needed, or even wanted.

It's a player choice to have death being permanent, to add a bit higher stakes on everything you do.

I think most players will use it when they are already familiar with the game and replaying it, to add an extra challenge.

If the game then suddenly becomes faster, it takes away from the challenge of enabling perma-death, and might even be confusing.

In a survival game, you'd likely want the same survival challenge regardless of if you enable perma-death or not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement