🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help a newbie?

Started by
6 comments, last by Akinoth 24 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I am dieing to get "into" being a developer. If any of you can direct me to(away) any thing that would help me please do so...
Advertisement
depends on how much you already know...
make sure you learn C/C++ by heart, get a book!
download and read the DirectX SDK everytime before you go to bed
keep searching, keep reading, keep writing code, keep reading the posts on here..also they have lots of good articles here to get you started, check them out.
Lookin'' at the Sourcecodes of small (Sample-)games like ''Space Donuts'' help alot.
There''s no easy way to answer your question. You just have to throw yourself into it and go. You never stop learning in this field, but you are going to have to play catch up.

First, learn C/C++ well. Also, you need to learn about how to program. Contrary to popular thought, these are two entirely different things. You should develop well programming practices, and you should learn about things such as data structures.

From there, start moving into Windows programming. You don''t have to be a master to program games, but the more you know, the better you''ll do. Once you''re ready, start DirectX and try to do some simple games.

Finally, read, read some more, then reread what you read. I''ve probably read upwards to 50 books on programming or game related sunjects. You just have to absorb yourself into the learning process.

And don''t expect to learn all of this at once. It takes years to become a professional quality programmer.
Code, Code, Code , Learn , Code Code Code !!!!!!

Try getting a good book too ( for games programming check the books section )

Good Luck

Erick
Start simple. Don''t rush into 3D or complex AI. If you haven''t programmed in C/C++ before, make simple no graphics DOS or Visual C++ Console programs first. When you have mastered C, I suggest these 2 books
The Black Art of 3D Game Programming by Andre LaMoth and
More Tricks by the game programing gurus.

The Andre LaMoth book covers 2D graphics first.

Domini
I''m also a newbie (as-in, still fetal =). But I''m very interested in game development. I''d like to say that seeing the multitude of responses to the above post is very heartening, as I''m sure you''ll all remember, getting started can be _very_ difficult.
That''s why sites like this are great. When you get stuck you can post a question and someone will (almost) always post a reply. Even if it''s not a solution it may lead you in the right direction.

Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement