🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which AP (Advanced Placement) course should I take for Game Dev ?

Started by
6 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 1 month ago

Well, I know that there are more than one course offered for Computer Science in AP, but is there any specific course should I do for Game Development ?

Advertisement

The ones you are interested in.

No specific courses or activities will guarantee you a job in the field. There is no course that will make employers say "Well they didn't take that class, there is no way we're ever hiring that person!".

The ones you are interested in.

No specific courses or activities will guarantee you a job in the field. There is no course that will make employers say "Well they didn't take that class, there is no way we're ever hiring that person!".

No, I didn't meant that.

I simply want to know which course from this list is the best option for the Game Development.

Shivesh,
You are wrong to think that you need somebody else to tell you which course to choose from
that list.
YOU should choose the course. And you SHOULD choose it based on what YOU want to study, not
what some hypothetical future employer expects.
Also, you say you're interested in game development, but you didn't say what aspect of game
development interests you most - art, programming, management, business, design, audio...?
So nobody can choose a topic from that list better than you can.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Shivesh,
You are wrong to think that you need somebody else to tell you which course to choose from
that list.
YOU should choose the course. And you SHOULD choose it based on what YOU want to study, not
what some hypothetical future employer expects.
Also, you say you're interested in game development, but you didn't say what aspect of game
development interests you most - art, programming, management, business, design, audio...?
So nobody can choose a topic from that list better than you can.

Thanks for that !
I have interest in Game Programming and Designing.

But I'm somewhat confused : -

Universities provide "Bachelor in Science and Game Development" and "Bachelor in Science and Game Design"

Bachelor in Game Design is straightforward course, but Bachelor in Game Development ? what options it leads to ?

Okay, then. If you understand the difference between those two, and you can see how any courses on your list apply to those two, you are on your way to being able to choose some classes to take.

Universities provide "Bachelor in Science and Game Development" and "Bachelor in Science and Game Design"
Bachelor in Game Design is straightforward course, but Bachelor in Game Development ? what options it leads to ?

You have the degree names wrong. It's not "in science AND game development" - it's "OF science, IN game development."
Bachelor of Science (BS) and Bachelor of Arts (BA) are both usually 4-year degrees. The main difference between a BS and a BA is the type of courses you take. A BS is usually a bit more focused on math and science, while a BA degree might involve more humanities classes. So then the real difference between the two programs you mentioned are in "Game Development" versus "Game Design." If you assume that the universities use the term "game design" correctly, then the difference is that Game Development involves more programming. BUT many universities misuse the term "game design" because the term sounds sexier than "game development."

Okay, then. If you understand the difference between those two, and you can see how any courses on your list apply to those two, you are on your way to being able to choose some classes to take.

You have the degree names wrong. It's not "in science AND game development" - it's "OF science, IN game development."
Bachelor of Science (BS) and Bachelor of Arts (BA) are both usually 4-year degrees. The main difference between a BS and a BA is the type of courses you take. A BS is usually a bit more focused on math and science, while a BA degree might involve more humanities classes. So then the real difference between the two programs you mentioned are in "Game Development" versus "Game Design." If you assume that the universities use the term "game design" correctly, then the difference is that Game Development involves more programming. BUT many universities misuse the term "game design" because the term sounds sexier than "game development."

Thanks for telling the difference !

One more little thing : is programming a part of game design ?
Because I'm more of a programming guy, who also loves to design the game mechanics.

is programming a part of game design ?

No. But it is useful for a game designer to be able to do some programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement