🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My game ends up being boring

Started by
21 comments, last by Awoken 8 years ago

Fun is a very hard thing to pin down -- because it's composed of "fuzzy" sorts of concepts like challenge, choice, reward, punishment, variety, novelty, emergence, pace, flow, feel, and so much more.

Take a simple jump in a platformer, for instance. You can have a nice sort of parabolic jump that mimics gravity, or you can a linear up-down jump that doesn't. Both of these things can otherwise have the same properties (like max height / max distance) and so they perform in basically the same way as far as level design possibilities go. But the parabolic jump just feels nicer -- it has weight and gravity -- and that makes it fun; the linear jump feels cheap -- and that makes it boring. That's not to say that realistic physics are fun -- Super Meat Boy completely throws off realism to pursue "feel" 110% which its creators have spoken about several times -- even in the original Super Mario Brothers for the NES, Mario and Luigi's jump arc is not physically realistic (they can jump several times their height), but it doesn't even follow a single parabolic motion -- the parabolic arc they follow on the initial rising half of the jump is different (it "floats" more) than the falling half -- which gives their jump, and indeed the entire series, a very distinct feel to them.

That's just a single concrete example, but its illustrative of the fact that mechanical equivalence rarely implies that there's a similar amount of fun to be had.

There are a wealth of videos on youtube where games, design elements, and game mechanics are broken down in very critical and analytical ways. I recall being very impressed with one video which broke down how the camera tracking in Super Mario Bros evolved throughout its 2D incarnations, which I wish I could find and link to right now. I'd be remiss to not plug my coworker's excellent game design channel, Game Design Wit, but there are a lot of content creators doing these kinds of videos.

Edit: Found it -- How Cameras in Side-Scrollers Work

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement

@Ravyne This one?

@mirzahat:
Don't stare yourself blind on "fun", it's not well-defined. Instead break down the things they do into elements, and analyze how they interact. How do they make life difficult for the player. Do they interact in interesting ways with each other? Can you use that as player?

Nope, not that one. The one I'm thinking of had overlays showing lines marking the point at which the player would cause the camera to move left or right, both while walking and running. It might have covered more than just the camera, it might also have been where I learned about SMB's jump arc as well. I didn't have any obvious luck turning it up on youtube myself when I included the word "camera" in my search terms.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Have you tried passing your game to various people and asking them what they think? (i mean non-technical non-gamedev people, gamers etc)

How have you determined if your game is boring, is this from your own testing? (You're probably right, follow your gut) - there is no substitute for proper testing though.

code, test, release, refine, wrinse and repeat until your game is good. It's the only real way you can get it right :)

Good luck!

>> Have you tried playing, and analyzing the zigzag game

this should have been done before you even started your game, or the moment zigzag came out, while your game was still under development.

>> Not sure what the factor is...that makes zigzag so fun...

and yet you hope to meet or exceed it? wow - that a tough prospect.
looks like you've now learned that technical skill in building games (game development skills like coding, artwork and audio) is not the same thing as skills in designing fun games (game design skills).
looks like you need to brush up on your design skills so you have a project worthy of you technical capabilities.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

What sets yours apart from ZigZag?

From the pictures (I can't download them) they look fairly similar. A game that is already established will continue to do better than a new, similar game from a developer without as large of a following. You need to be able to tell a customer, "Come play my version instead, it is better." New graphics usually won't accomplish that.

Will Design Games For Food.

I was going to try it but I was put off by the file permissions.

I would say the graphics is not at all 'sweet'. By the screenshots it just the opposite. You have a sort-of-realistic car moving on a totally abstracted landscape. If that's not enough, the context does not look like a road and I bet the physics don't either.

26MiBs? What for?

Previously "Krohm"

"26MiBs? What for?" I did it in Unity so it was packaged into 26 mb...

Maybe this video would be helpfull?

[media]https:

[/media]

stefansava.com

@awesometoday this is good! thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement