🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there an official list of all registered game titles out there?

Started by
11 comments, last by GimmeARPG 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey guys this is my first post on these boards.
I figured beginners would be the right place for my question.

You're asking a business/legal question, so I'm moving this to that forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

There are no official list. I recommend http://www.mobygames.com to search for used names. For a GDD i suggest you select a project name to use that is not related to the real name you aim for or the content or style of the game. That way if anyone only know the name they can't guess what the game is about. The best way to protect your final game name is to not tell anyone about it until you have gotten far enough with a interested party.

So i suggest you pick a theme for your project names and then pick one for your project. All the projects i have worked on has had these code names. I try to use the theme of doomed ships and I'm currently working on a tech-demo that use the project name Sussex. The real name for the game, if it ever gets made, give to much of the game away.

@spinningcubes | Blog: Spinningcubes.com | Gamedev notes: GameDev Pensieve | Spinningcubes on Youtube

There are no official list. I recommend http://www.mobygames.com to search for used names. For a GDD i suggest you select a project name to use that is not related to the real name you aim for or the content or style of the game. That way if anyone only know the name they can't guess what the game is about. The best way to protect your final game name is to not tell anyone about it until you have gotten far enough with a interested party.

So i suggest you pick a theme for your project names and then pick one for your project. All the projects i have worked on has had these code names. I try to use the theme of doomed ships and I'm currently working on a tech-demo that use the project name Sussex. The real name for the game, if it ever gets made, give to much of the game away.

Good points, thanks :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement