🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there an opportunity for a systems engineer?

Started by
13 comments, last by UltimateWalrus 8 years, 1 month ago

Remote freelance programming is becoming more and more common these days (I do it all the time, even internationally). It could be rough to plan an entire career around that but you could certainly try. It really boils down to how good of a programmer you are, and having finished (preferably solo) projects that demonstrate your skill. If you're decent then I bet there will be people willing to hire you internationally (and you can work from home in your underpants).

If you get good at programming you can shoot me an email (admin at ultimatewalrus.com), and maybe I'd consider subcontracting sometimes or referring people who don't want to pay my rate to you.

Advertisement

Remote freelance programming is becoming more and more common these days (I do it all the time, even internationally). It could be rough to plan an entire career around that but you could certainly try. It really boils down to how good of a programmer you are, and having finished (preferably solo) projects that demonstrate your skill. If you're decent then I bet there will be people willing to hire you internationally (and you can work from home in your underpants).

If you get good at programming you can shoot me an email (admin at ultimatewalrus.com), and maybe I'd consider subcontracting sometimes or referring people who don't want to pay my rate to you.

I guess that all jobs ask for C++, right?

Learning C# and Unity are good starts. I'm not sure what languages you might be learning as part of your degree, but learning C++ is a major plus if you want to work as a programmer in the games industry.

Learning C# and Unity are good starts. I'm not sure what languages you might be learning as part of your degree, but learning C++ is a major plus if you want to work as a programmer in the games industry.

In my college: Java, Java and Java, oh and Html and CSS. I'll learn C++ by myself

It doesn't matter... just get good at the programming language you like the best. Even visual languages aimed at beginners (like Clickteam Fusion/Game Maker) are actually an excellent place to start. Once you feel confident, learn a few more languages. A programmer is a programmer... once you get good enough, you can pick up a new language over a weekend.

Granted, learning C++ eventually is an excellent idea because most other modern languages aren't as low-level (close to the hardware). Without knowledge of a low-level language like C++ you won't understand what's actually happening when you program in high-level languages, you'll just have to assume that computers are magic and things like garbage collection are necessary "for some reason," which is not a very good foundation if you want to become skilled.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement