🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My progs dont use voodoo3 card?!?

Started by
6 comments, last by Jif 22 years, 7 months ago
Hi! Im relatively new to OpenGL and this website rocks! Really helping me with my final year project, a 3d game engine!! Im coding away, but unfortunately rendering is very slow, when i ran the tutorial that tells you what renderer you are using it said i was using a generic microsoft thing. How can i get my programs to use my gfx card, do i need to install some sort of MiniGL driver and if so how? Thanx, appreciate the help
Advertisement
If your graphics card supports openGL, the driver install should include the opengl32.dll file appropriate to your hardware, replacing the generic microsoft library.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Isn''t ( or I should say ) wasn''t 3Dfx notorious for NOT supporting OpenGL and trying to push the defunct Glide API ?
I only purchased 1 OpenGl program in my whole life it was Quake2 and I remember pretty well having to install these MiniGL drivers supplied by 3Dfx in order to have hardware acceleration.
I want to make clear that I''m not here to bash 3Dfx, I own both Voodoo3 and Voodoo5 ( best FSAA IMHO ) boards.
How will you know what functions of OGL are implemented by a MiniGL?
Maybe the easiest way out would be to buy a cheap second hand OpenGL supported Videoboard, like an old Nvidia TNT2 board.

Good luck
Voodoo 3 cards are a pain to support in DirectX 8 as well. I think that we need to stop supporting them. I realize this sounds a bit harsh, and it it, but its down-right horrible to have to bend over backwards for a minority of gamers.
You guys are really stupid. Voodoo3 is optimized for DX8 and OpenGL. It uses 3DfxT&L, WAYS better than nVidia T&L. I use a Voodoo3 3000 and I get around ~200 fps on my Pentium 150 (running Unreal2 tech-demo).

Kneelz
quote: Original post by Jif
this website rocks

I don''t think so.
quote: Original post by Kneelz
You guys are really stupid. Voodoo3 is optimized for DX8 and OpenGL. It uses 3DfxT&L, WAYS better than nVidia T&L. I use a Voodoo3 3000 and I get around ~200 fps on my Pentium 150 (running Unreal2 tech-demo).

Kneelz

I hate to break it to you but the unreal (tournament) engine was highly optimized for glide, which is what the voodoo cards support best. If Voodoo 3 cards are so great with OGL and DX8, then why can''t they do things like spherical environment mapping? I also hate to burst your bubble but voodoo 3 cards don''t have TnL. 3Dfx is gone.

Also, Unreal 2 is not out yet. Are you reffering to Unreal Tournament?
mine started working when I manually set my graphics to 16 bit before starting the program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement