🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C# and DirectX

Started by
11 comments, last by thurk 22 years, 6 months ago
Hello All, I was wondering if anyone has played with C# much, and if so has anyone tried to do anything with DirectX?
Advertisement
DirectX wont be officially supported in C# until DX9, which comes with Managed DX. You can get DX8 to work by messing about with P/Invoke on the VB dll''s, I believe. You can probably find some info about this if you search the MS .NET newsgroups(microsoft.public.dotnet.*).
There is also an OpenGL wrapper for C# being made(GLUT and SDL is in the works, I think) Look here

Psalm 137:9: "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Thanks Arlid.

Excuse my lack of knowledge about C#, but I recall reading something about being able to take com compontents and compile then into a .net dll, which then is usable like any other .net dll.
Here is that article.

Yeah, I sort of knew about that, although I''ve never actually used it. Visual Studio.NET can automatically import COM components and make a .NET wrapper class for you. I wouldnt be surprised if you could find premade wrappers for DX8 out there somewhere(google is your friend )

Psalm 137:9: "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Oh Yes Google has saved my hide on many occasions.
VS.NET had under its com references a DX for VB.

I tried that last night. It worked for the most part.

I think I shall see if I cant get a beta of DX9 though.

And, sorry for screwing up your name last post

I do believe they arent taking any more applications for the DX9 beta program.

I do believe (actually know) your correct.
I did however sign up for the beta a little over a month ago.

Also I still have one or two friends that work there

C# is a brand new language (Microsoft calls it Visual Studio .NET), a mixture of QBasic and C. You don''t have to initialize any variables, and malloc does only sizes to 32 kB. It''s great for 3D games like Unreal2, and I use it from now on. It''s really astounding.

Kneelz
Actally C# is MS's new Language build for their new framework the .NET. Visual Studio.NET is just their next iteration of Visual Studio that supports .NET and therefor C#. It also supports development of C++ (Managed and Unmanaged), VB.NET, ASP.NET, and Web Services. To name but afew.

As to the orgins of C# and where MS got there motivation, I dont feel as I am qualified to answer that. Although I would have to agree with you Kneelz, it feels like a mixture of QBasic and C, with some of the 'good' from java thrown in too.

Since my original post I have converted the DirectX VB Tutorial application to C#. Im finding many hoops that need to be jumped through for creating simple DX apps. But for the most part its relatively easy. I have also been looking into GDI+. Though not nearly as feature rich as DirectX, it does have some cool features, like Matrix support, and Transformations. Which I will say mean not awhole too me as I am a server-side app developer and have not actually worked with 3D yet, other than reading about it.

Edited by - thurk on November 22, 2001 9:22:06 AM
somewere on this site www.sunlightd.com is a directx.net tutorial. It might be of instest for someone.
Just me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement