🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

looking for an agent to sell my game idea to the right people

Started by
12 comments, last by Gian-Reto 8 years, 3 months ago
I want to make a game where boss battles and npcs are related to the mythology and history of earth... for example sparta which suffered a massive earthquake while one of its leaders was reigning will have a boss fight named after that leader that will have an earthquake mechanic which when dealing enough damage in one cycle will reward an achievement...
Advertisement

People don't buy game ideas. Ideas guy is not a job in the games industry.

I want to make a game where boss battles and npcs are related to the mythology and history of earth... for example sparta which suffered a massive earthquake while one of its leaders was reigning will have a boss fight named after that leader that will have an earthquake mechanic which when dealing enough damage in one cycle will reward an achievement...

The thing is, almost everyone who works in games has their own "great" game ideas. Also, almost everyone who works in games has people tell them about their great game ideas once they tell people what they do. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Also, having a great game idea is about 0.01% of making a great game. You still have to get funding, write all the code, make all the art, design all the gameplay, UI, etc, market the game, support it once it's out, etc, etc. And, each of those things is a full time job for at least one highly skilled person.

Your options for having your game made are:

1. Learn to program and create art and make it yourself. This will take a lot of time.

2. Get your own money and hire an experienced project lead, have him/her hire all the people he needs, and have him make the game. This will take a lot of money.

3. Get a job in a game studio and work your way up, trying to pitch your idea whenever possible. This will have a very low likelihood of succeeding.

Just found this article...

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/business/breaking-into-the-industry/so-you-have-cool-game-ideas-r1263

techshaman, I moved your post to the Business forum because it was not in keeping with what goes on in the For Beginners forum.
Now, then. No agent will be interested in trying to sell your idea, because they'd spend hours and hours and get no takers. Stop looking for an agent. If you want to pitch your idea to game publishers, read FAQ 11 and FAQ 21 on my website (I wrote two articles about (11) why nobody will buy your game idea and (21) how to go about it if you choose to disregard the first article).
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.htm - Selling Ideas
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson21.htm - The Game Concept Submission Process

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I read three pages. I know a little bit about the planets and creatures populating them, but I can only guess at what type of game you want this to be. Honestly, it looks like you just wrote down ideas as they came to you instead of planning this out. I highly suggest reading Tom Sloper's articles on the subject (conveniently, he linked them in the post right above this one), they're why I started acquiring game development skills to begin with (no, I never managed to get THAT game completed for submission... instead I wound up working collaboratively or for hire on some other interesting games that were similar to my game idea. I don't even remember any specifics about what that idea was, so it probably wasn't that good).

That game idea needs a lot of money. Just for the art alone, I would estimate about $500k on the cheapest side for it to be as beautiful as you had imagined. Kickstarter will not work as you need a following, or the only messages you will get, will be from PR firms.

I tried to fund a 3D platformer which has the same ambition as your idea. I put it on the backburner and decided to focus on a low budget idea first.

Even that will take a long time, 2-3 years minimum. Your first game may be compared to shovelware titles. You will fall down many times before you start to fly. You will start to gather a tribe. Even that isn't enough, as you need to actually get out there and befriend journalists who have a great outreach for you to raise such money on Kickstarter.

I managed to get funded by $3k, which when properly managed and the scope is small, can really go a long way. But even that required me to release my first title, which was not good by indie platformer standards. Raising even a small amount of money requires so many blood, sweat and tears.

So, in essence, make a smaller scope game with the resources you have. The more (good) games you release, the more marketing you do, the more followers you get and you can eventually raise enough funds on Kickstarter. But that takes an incredibly long time, and getting a novel published is like a walk in the park in comparison.

Though I fully agree with this, the above is a request to sell an idea to the right people.

If OP also happens to have a team in place to make said game happen, pitching the concept to potential clients is not an impossible task, but the odds of success are very low.

Would need to strike the right partnership, acquire limited means, and somehow pull it off.

As was suggested, crowd sourcing this might be a better approach, but for this you would need minimal funding to put together some kind of pitch deck, video and hopefully a prototype. Teams can easily be found, money, not so much.

Though I fully agree with this, the above is a request to sell an idea to the right people.

If OP also happens to have a team in place to make said game happen, pitching the concept to potential clients is not an impossible task, but the odds of success are very low.

Would need to strike the right partnership, acquire limited means, and somehow pull it off.

As was suggested, crowd sourcing this might be a better approach, but for this you would need minimal funding to put together some kind of pitch deck, video and hopefully a prototype. Teams can easily be found, money, not so much.

Crowdsourcing also requires a tribe and/or media connections to have any sort of success. This is especially important for this idea which is not cheap to make.

Crowdsourcing also requires a tribe and/or media connections to have any sort of success. This is especially important for this idea which is not cheap to make.

But as per the OP, they are effectively looking for an agent.

In this particular case, I would believe them to be looking for a business development manager or something similar (someone to make their case).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement