🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trivia card game

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 5 months ago

Hi,

I'm working at CatLab and we are developing QuizWitz, a trivia game / social network for quizzers.

To promote our game and as a crowdfunding reward we are currently designing a (small) card game. Since we're hosting live quiz evenings using our platform, we want to sell & give away the game to contestants.

The card game is not our main focus, but we still want to make it as fun as possible of course. That's where your feedback comes in :-)

The cards:

We're planning to print:

- 48 "question cards": cards with 6 questions on them, and for each question 4 multiple choice answers. The correct answer is underlined. The back of the cards show the QuizWitz logo. Each question correspondents to one of our 6 main categories (history, science, ...). Each question has a main topic ("Inventions" for example) and a specific topic (for example "Tesla"). Each card also has a difficulty symbol (1 to 4 stars)

- 6 player cards: front: 6 different player characters and a number (1 to 6). Back: game category icon + the name of the category.

- 2 "manual cards": the manual of the game + on the back "correct" and "incorrect" in large letters.

The rules:

We want to pack the game with 2 different game rules. The players can then choose which game they want to play.

Game 1:

Minimum amount of players: 3

Setup:

- Each player picks a player card.

- The correct / incorrect cards are placed in the middle

- Each player needs a counter to represent them

- A piece of paper is required to keep the score

- Place the question cards face down in the middle

Game:

- The game consists of 6 rounds, one round for each category.

- When a round starts, check the back of the player cards to see which category it is. (For example: first round => player one checks his card => history)

- The oldest player starts. He challenges the player on his right.

- The challenger takes the top question cards and reads the history question out loud

- All players, except the challenger and the challengee, now must place their player token on the "correct" or "incorrect" card.

- The challengee must now answer the question.

- If the challengee answers correctly, he gets 3 points. All players who have placed their token on "correct", get 1 point.

- If the challengee answers incorrectly, he doesn't get any points. All players who have placed their token on "incorrect" get 1 point.

- Now the challengee gets to challenge the player to his right, and the game continues.

- After all 6 rounds have been played, the score is totalled and a winner rises.

(I feel like I need to work on those rules ;-))

But what is your overall feel on this game?

Any tips / improvements / thoughts on how we could make a better game with these assets?

Looking forward for your feedback.

Advertisement

You "feel" that way? You mean you haven't playtested it? You need to playtest it!

The oldest player starts? Why not the one with the fewest zits, or the one with the lightest color hair, or the least hair, or the fewest piercings? (Age seems arbitrary, and my alternate suggestions are just arbitrary other arbitrarinesses.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You "feel" that way? You mean you haven't playtested it? You need to playtest it!

The oldest player starts? Why not the one with the fewest zits, or the one with the lightest color hair, or the least hair, or the fewest piercings? (Age seems arbitrary, and my alternate suggestions are just arbitrary other arbitrarinesses.)

Only "internal tests", we're planning to give it a spin at the local game café soon.

But I meant more the way it's written down :-)

Well who starts doesn't really matter that much :)

who starts doesn't really matter that much

Then make the rule "choose who goes first."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement