🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Feedback on game Cyborgs

Started by
5 comments, last by Stanis 8 years, 6 months ago
Hello guys.
I have created a game based on a following concept: you have a headquarters, where you manage resources, design and construct cyborgs and develop technology, and you can take control of one of your created cyborgs and use it in real time combat. So the game is two-layered: base management layer and real time combat layer. Combat results impact management, for example you can extract resources from battlefield and carry them home, or you can destroy someone else's base. Similar design was used in an old (but imho good) game Steel Empire (or Cyber Empire), where you managed your empire, but you could take part in real time combat using one of your robots.
I'd love to have your opinion if this concept is viable and can be popular.
My game is very much a work in progress, but it's already playable. It's a MMO created in Flash and based on SmartFoxServer2x community edition. So to play it you just need to visit digitalemeraldstudio.pl and create a user. You don't have to use your real email, it's not used for validation yet – just put in any email-resembling string of characters.
I'd say my game is already pretty complex, with production, research, complex combat system, etc. I will not go into details here – if you have any questions just let me know in here or on my email stach78@gmail.com
Last but not least – I worked on this game in my free time and using only my limited resources. Graphics can and should be better, you can also encounter some bugs (work in progress). Right now I use very cheap VPS server in Poland, so you may encounter some lag (there is a singleplayer mission however, where you should experience no lag at all, since it's all taking place on the client).
My question is – should I continue work on this game, does it have any potential in your opinion?
I hope to get some honest feedback from you smile.png
Advertisement

Just to make sure you get the right responses, and this is in the correct forum:

Do you have any questions that need to be answered? Any problems you are facing? Asking people "is this viable" is a very broad and vague question.

Oh, and give people the option of looking at your game WITHOUT having to create a user and actually playing your game. Do you have a youtube video of ingame footage? Any images?

You might get good responses from people that would never bother to login to your game, as a vid or image might already show them a potential issue or strength of your game.

Moving this to Game Design.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

From the above post, this game concept could be anything. I can make just about a dozen entirely different gameplay from the precepts above because this is too vague. The words you write down are true to the idea you are trying to convey, but they are insufficient. Most likely, we need sketches to better understand how Cyborgs are constructed, controlled, how the camera is positioned, etc. This may all sound like going "too deep" but it's actually a requirement to any idea, otherwise, this could be X-Com Enemy Within if I'm reading this right (we can turn your troops into Cyborgs, and there are two layers to gameplay, one is base management where you turn your soldiers into mechs/cyborgs, and the other where you fight missions).

From the above post, this game concept could be anything. I can make just about a dozen entirely different gameplay from the precepts above because this is too vague. The words you write down are true to the idea you are trying to convey, but they are insufficient. Most likely, we need sketches to better understand how Cyborgs are constructed, controlled, how the camera is positioned, etc. This may all sound like going "too deep" but it's actually a requirement to any idea, otherwise, this could be X-Com Enemy Within if I'm reading this right (we can turn your troops into Cyborgs, and there are two layers to gameplay, one is base management where you turn your soldiers into mechs/cyborgs, and the other where you fight missions).

I'm agreeing with you 100%, just make sure you understand that the TO expects people to follow the link he provided and play the actual game.

Now, I am sure I not the only one hesitating to follow links a stranger in a forum posted, and also even if I trust the link, could be convinced to actually create a user and play the game long enough to give an accurate reponse... after all, we are not talking about a 5 minute casual game here.

But I would love to look at pics and even watch a vid to better understand what the TO is trying to build, as well as read a somewhat more indepth description, and would love to provide feedback on that.

Gian and Orymus have said it better than I could. The description is too vague, and I'm not going to make an account when I don't even know what type of game it is, and haven't seen a screenshot or video. I'm interested to see or read more, though.

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.

Sorry that my post was so vague. Here are more details:
Scr. 1 - base management main screen
bM5AkED.png
In base management mode we build mine buildings which produce resources (there are
two resources: metals and non-metals). These resources are required to build more
buildings, and construct cyborg components.
Scr. 2: Component Factory screen
b3v0xUM.png
In component factory cyborg components are produced. There are several: reactors,
which generate energy, engines which convert energy into speed, batteries, which
store energy - for use in energy based weapons (they act like ammo boxes, but are
automatically recharged), ammo boxes - store ammo for projectile-based weapons
(currently there is only one - minigun). There are also coolers which cool cyborg
down (cyborg heats up when using weapons or when hit by enemy fire; overheated
cyborg stops moving and firing until cooled. If severely overheated - cyborg is
destroyed). I have also introduced cargo box, which allows cyborgs to carry
resources or components between bases (i. e. to allied base, if your ally needs
some resources). Several other component types are planned.
I have limited number of weapons implemented, but many more are planned. Currently
there is light laser, Small Energy Weapon (SEW), Big Energy Weapon (BEW) and
minigun. All but minigun use energy as ammo, so battery is needed in a cyborg that
uses these weapons.
For projectile-based weapons I have also created different types of ammo -
Standard, Armor-piercing, Inciendary and High Explosive.
Components produced in component factory are assembled into cyborgs in cyborg
bays. Each cyborg ready for action uses up one cyborg bay. Design process is
pretty simple (see screenshot).
Scr. 3. Cyborg bay - cyborg assembling
Iac5avF.png
Right now there is also research and technology system implemented. To get higher levels of components (with better hit points, energy output, damage dealed etc.) you need to research proper technologies in lab (which also cost resources to research).
Scr.4. Research lab
honJVI2.png
In real time combat mode the view is from the top. We have several weapons to
choose from (depending on cyborg design). Our speed, hit points, rate of
overheating/cooling depend on internal components (number and level of engines,
coolers, reactors etc.). Damage when hit is distributed between components and
weapons, i. e. if your left side is hit, only components and weapons mounted on
your left side will be affected (until they are destroyed, then damage is
distributed to further components). If all cyborg reactors are destroyed the
cyborg is considered destroyed. Wreck stays on battlefield so you can extract
remaining components from it for your own use (althought extracting tool is not
implemented yet :( ).
Scr. 4. Real time combat
gmoxFWf.png
Currently there are two areas where you can experience real time combat. One is
"wastelands", where you go to a big map that contains all players' bases. You can
go to other player base and attack it, or fight his cyborgs if he comes out
(damaging/destroying building is not yet implemented, however). Unfortunately I
experience a lot of lag and other problems here (work is in progress). Therefore I
have also introduced single player mission - HQ button in base. You can fight AI
controlled cyborgs there (AI is rudimentary, however, and combat is not nearly as
exciting as in multiplayer).
I hope I didn't overdo it in the other direction now and put too much details in the description. This is my game right now anyway - you can try it out at previously mentioned address. Thanks for all the feedback!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement