🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

If I make an RPG with RPG maker MV, can I sell it on Steam?

Started by
13 comments, last by Envy123 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh... I have to do all that? I can't just slap something together with the elements that come with the program and plop it on steam and cross my fingers? I wanted to make an RPG in a modern setting about a drug dealer who gets caught up with the wrong crowd and ends up fighting for his life. Power ups would include illicit drugs and alcohol. I would make little drawings of the items in MS paint. Again, I only want like $3 per copy.

If a game like shower with your dad simulator 2015 can be popular on steam I see no reason why I can't succeed. I don't want to put money into advertising because, essentially, I have no money.

A word of warning: if you submit it to Steam Greenlight and the game looks slapped together, TotalBiscuit and Jim Sterling are very likely to rip the game to shreds in front of their many subscribers.

Some examples on the games which were ripped to shreds:

Temper Tantrum

Day One: Garry's Incident

Advertisement

On the flip side, RPGMaker is genuinely fun to use. There's something inherently satisfying about creating, about seeing your ideas translated into a game. You get to write dialogue, script cut-scenes, design maps, come up with unique skills: I think it's worth doing for the sake of doing.

Finishing the game, getting money and distribution: those are bonuses. Either way you can have fun, see if game development is something you want to pursue further, and refine your skills as a writer and designer.

TotalBiscuit and Jim Sterling are very likely to rip the game to shreds in front of their many subscribers.

These reviews kind of grate on me at times.

They pick on indie games produced by single developers, and although those games might have bugs someone poured their heart and soul into them and decided to sell them for $2.50.

After these reviews 9000 people descend onto their steam page and half of them admit to buying the game just to leave a negative review like sheeple.

It really discourages people from releasing at all IMHO even for free...

Personally I restrain myself from ever picking on an indie developers finished and released game. Releasing and getting to the finish line is hard enough without people being trollish. I will offer constructive criticism but I would draw the line at these "reviews".

So selling RPGmaker games with RTP graphics is royalty-free now?

Haven't been around the scene since rpg maker 2003, so I wouldn't know, but I remember there being some technicalities that needed to be handled before pushing to market, I suppose this has changed significantly?

TotalBiscuit and Jim Sterling are very likely to rip the game to shreds in front of their many subscribers.

These reviews kind of grate on me at times.

They pick on indie games produced by single developers, and although those games might have bugs someone poured their heart and soul into them and decided to sell them for $2.50.

After these reviews 9000 people descend onto their steam page and half of them admit to buying the game just to leave a negative review like sheeple.

It really discourages people from releasing at all IMHO even for free...

Personally I restrain myself from ever picking on an indie developers finished and released game. Releasing and getting to the finish line is hard enough without people being trollish. I will offer constructive criticism but I would draw the line at these "reviews".

Because I didn't want the wrath of those two reviewers when releasing my game, I watched their videos to take notes on what should I not do.

You can't really paint all of the indie developers in a good light. A lot of them removed comments criticising the game, particularly Digital Homicide, and even tried to remove the video reviews themselves. Enter the Streisand effect.

On the other hand, what plays as a fun game for myself may be confusing for someone else. But I actually aim to get criticism from players before I even bother to put it on Greenlight, and act on it instead of censoring.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement