🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

You can't join a team if your a designer.

Started by
12 comments, last by The new guy 22 years, 7 months ago
Think about it designers can''t join teams, because? The designer is nearly always the person who starts a team and they design everything so they hardly never need any beginner designers. So for me this is a problem, because i haven''t made any games but i want to join a team just to learn the basics from people who are better in design than me. So is there any other way for me to get on a team?
Advertisement
Learn to program. (In the "industry" people come in as QA.)
The thing is I don''t really like programing just designing and i find it very hard, i''ve got 3 books on programing in C++ and they don''t help 2 just show you how to make widows applications and 1 dons''t even work! could you suggest a really good book i should get?
Isometric Game Programming Using DirectX 7.0.

Its a great book, and the first few chapters are all about windows.

-Jason
quote: Original post by The new guy
The thing is I don''t really like programing just designing and i find it very hard

"Life is hard." "Nothing good comes easy." "Work hard for the money."

Pick a saying. The point is that because something is hard doesn''t mean it''s impossible or you can''t do it; you just have to work hard at it. Yes, there''ll be lots of confusing terms and things wont work as expected - that''s when you come here, show us what you did and what happened (or didn''t) and ask questions. Many have done it before you, many will after you.

quote: i''ve got 3 books on programing in C++ and they don''t help 2 just show you how to make widows applications and 1 dons''t even work!

I''m going to say something that I want you to drill into your head:

The programmer is always wrong.

There are, of course, (many) exceptions to this rule but it will take you a good while to find/become one of them. Until then, if the program doesn''t work (!) then know that
    you
are doing something wrong. I''ve seen a ton of posts saying "Stupid C++ wont work!!!! Has bugs?!!!!" (and btw, multiple punctuation is silly; using more than one exclamation mark makes you appear juvenile) In every one of those cases it was the newbie that "had bugs."

quote: could you suggest a really good book i should get?

If you look to the top of the page, you''ll see two links in particular: For Beginners and Articles & Resources. I want you to click on each of them and read all the introductory material you can find there. It''ll come in very useful.
Hello,
If you really want to be a good game designer just play a sh*t load of games and analyze them. Analyze everything, storyline, music, graphics, ai, gui, etc. and write it down. A game designer needs the ability to know what is going on in all parts of the game and the ability to design all parts of the game. It will also help if you can make all of those things too atleast to some extent.
If you have anymore question you can e-mail me at msonthineni@hotmail.com or check out Infinity''s website

Maheedhar Sonthineni
Infinity Entertainment
Http://ies.250x.com
Maheedhar SonthineniBlack Tempest Unleashedwww.btugames.com

I think Jesse Liberty''s Book "teach yourself c++ in 21 days" (or was ist 24??)
is pretty good to start.
I used it when I knew nothing about C++ (except that it''s a programming language :-),
and it helped me much.
Costs 25 bucks or so.

Ahh, take a look at www.amazon.com,
there are two editions, one for $25, and one for $35 including a compiler.
but don''t know if it''s a good one.

If you''ve read the comments about the $25 ed., and think it''s good,
just buy this one an download DevC++, it''s free.

The text book "Starting out with C++" by Tony Gaddis is one of the better text books out there. I comes with a student version of Visual Basic C++.
If at first you don't succeed, use profanity and try, try again.
UB... it''s 24 hours, I think. That''s the book I learned with, too, and I always reccomend it.

-Forcas

"Elvis is alive. He is Barney the purple dinosaur. He is the pied piper that leads our children into the wages of sin and eternal damnation."

-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");
Honestly it comes down to the fact that a "Designer" who hasn''t programmed, or done art can not be respected by the people he tries to surround himself with. How can you design something if you don''t have a clue as to what a programmer will need? How can you design an interface if you don''t know the limitations of the hardware? How can you tell an artist what the character you envision looks like if you can''t draw?

If you can''t do the above then programmers and artists will not respect you. If they do not respect you they will either quit, not have work done on time, or have low quality work to show. You want respect? Take some time out of your designing to learn some basic programming skills, do a bit of art, learn about the limitations of the hardware your developing for.

If you don''t do the above what ends up happening is that artists and programmers get to make design decisions now and at that point you''ve lost control. The game will never be the way you envisioned it, and most likely it will never reach "finished" status.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement