🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Preferred art style?(specific question)

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 8 years, 7 months ago
So I am starting to work on the art for my personal project which is a semi top down wave survival shooter for PC. And since I am artistically illiterate, I went with an easier art style to work with; Voxel art.

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on what style I should go with abd what you guys think the pro's and con's (visual and gameplay wise) would be for each. I was thinking of going with a more normal style such as Ace of Spades, or a more stubby/cartoony style kind of like Cube World. Or maybe something else I have not thought of.... Either of these styles would fit with my game fine, but I'm just not sure how appealing they would be.

Any help would be great!
Advertisement

Choose an art style with a full range of colours - that way you can represent every enemy in a unique way.

I find realistic settings to be limiting, unless you're also including science-fiction, where your character designs will be different from each other.

You should let the player be able to understand immediately what your thing is. Practicality comes first, and aesthetics second.

Art style has an interesting interplay with design. I've played games that were just reskins (different art) that felt completely different because of the art styles.

When I think Survival Shooter, it draws to mind grungy, dark, and feeling constrained.

Thinking about the style as a cartoony look makes me think of the bright and colorful shooters of the arcade era. Shooters yes, but not 'survival' themed. Yes you died a lot, but mostly to feed in more coins and tokens.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement